Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Need to talk

Please can someone help? 

I signed up for a new Virgin account on line on Tuesday 20th October.

I have just called my current provider to let them know I'm cancelling and my start date with Virgin is 9th November as per emails. But they've said they've had no contact from Virgin to say they are taking over and told me to contact Virgin to ensure its definitely going ahead. BUT there is no contact telephone number to ask anyone and no Q&A that fall in to my question?? 

Can anyone help? Pretty please! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to talk

VM will not contact your previous provider. Cancellation is down to you and that provider. The process they are probably referring to is when you switch between providers which both use the BT Openreach network. That is not the case here. However if you have asked VM to port your landline number over to their system then you MUST NOT cancel your phone contract with your previous provider until the port happens. If you do cancel you will lose your landline number. No prospect of it ever being recovered. But here's the tricky bit. You should probably wait until you are satisfied that your VM| installation is working before you cancel your previous service. Just in case!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, thank you! 

Yes that makes sense. I don't use my landline for a telephone and don't have a phone plugged in, so if I'm not bothered about keeping the number as no one knows it anyway, shall I cancel with my current provider as they are wanting 2 weeks cancellation notice? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You could.  But if the VM installation is delayed at the last minute (which does happen), or it gets installed but there are performance issues, then you could be without any connection.  It seems a waste to overlap the services and pay for both at the same time, but you'll kick yourself if something goes wrong and you're left with no internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks