Menu
Proserve01
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Moving underground cable

We have some underground virgin cables on our site that have been laid very poorly. They aren’t the correct depth, have no sand around them and no warning tape above. We need them to be moved or they will end up being damaged because of how badly they have been laid. How do we get an engineer to the site to look at them please? I’ve tried calling and choosing various options but it’s just rings out. We’re in Mid-Suffolk. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving underground cable

Virgin don't have a correct depth they can be laid just under the surface, they don't use sand or have warning tapes either.

0 Kudos
Proserve01
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They should be laid to NJUG specification as all other utilities are. We need them moved to allow for work to be carried out. Is there a way of talking to someone so we can get an engineer out please?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin can arrange the cable to be moved for £99, you can wait here for a few days for someone to respond.

The Installer will only dig it up to a spades depth, if you need it deeper you would have to arrange this yourself as they are not allowed to dig deeper than that

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To get it done quickest albeit for £99 ...

Call it in on 150 (VM Phone - free) or 0345 454 1111 (any other phone - national rate). Calling at 08.00 midweek (09.00 Sun) is the best time to get through quickly.

Although some people are still reporting getting through fine at other times with no long waits

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Proserve01
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks. We can certainly carry out any excavation works. We just need someone to move the cable in our trench. I’ll try the 150 number. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if they are fed cables from the cabinet to individual installs then there are no requirements and no legislation for the depth they are burried - above ground is just as likely as an inch or two down - cables in the street are a different matter - i believe they have to be to regs - usually in green ducting

asto them being classed as a utility - i dont think thats correct - certainly not the install to premises - again street cabinets and underground ducting may be 

Tony
0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The VM response on this might vary depending on what the cables are, who they serve and whether they are still in use?

Are you talking about one cable serving a single property or are many cables/properties involved? 

See this parallel topic from today

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/removal-of-old-external-cabling/m-p/47337...

If it is one customer/cable/ property then it should be simpler. If it is more then it will be more costly/complicated and probably slower!

If you can elaborate more on who you are and what you are trying to do exactly you will probably get a more useful set of answers and options on here than via the 150 route.