Menu
Zed1
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving Virgin Media Cabinet

Hi

Does any one know who/where to request to move an exiting Virgin Media Cabinet installed on the verge of a road ( the cabinet is believed to be Fibre Optics Network). We are constructing a new junction and road and the existing cabinet will restrict the visibility of the ongoing traffic from the new junction.

Thanks 

Zed

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Virgin Media Cabinet

Yes - this is entirely a matter for the local authority concerned. They have the liaison contacts with all the UK broadband providers to organise this as part of their overall duty for local highway standards and maintenance. They will know who the cabinet belongs to. Just because it appears to be for fibre networking doesn't mean it's a VM cabinet. BT Openreach have at least as many and probably many more such cabinets than VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zed1
Just joined
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HawrdML,

I actually contacted our Virgin Media Framework Manger and his response was I should contact the VM head office as he does not deal with the cabins that does not form a part of our site communication network. The new site is about 1.5 miles away from where the new junction / maintenance  access road is to be constructed and our site is not connected to this cabin. I will escalate this matter and advise you the outcome. I also imagine there will be a huge cost associated with the moving of the live cabinet as lots of house might be connected to this specific cabinet.  Are there areas where Virgin are still using BT Openreach infrastructure to provide their service. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM do not use BT network for anything.

ANd you are correct moving a cabinet can cost in the £100,000 depending on the work needed. as it will involve rerunning the cables to all the customers

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If the cabinet has a CATV pavement cover in front of it then it certainly belongs to VM.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Zed1 - just out of interest - who is "we" who are constructing a new junction.

Presumably you are not local council as they would not post on here - would they !!

Private developer I assume?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Jbrennard Hi and if a private developer would "road safety" be a concern to them or perhaps access.Regards Micky