Menu
willf
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving House New Install

Hi All

I am an existing VM customer with 3x V6 boxes, telephone & 200MB Fibre Broadband. We are moving house in February and understand we can just transfer our services as VM is available in the area.

Only issue I can foresee is getting the cables to the V6 boxes in the new property. It's a mid-terraced Grade 2 listed building so cables are not allowed to run up the outside of the walls. Internally it has 150+ year old Italian coving and some ornate skirting boards as well.

Ideally the cabling will need to be run under the floorboards but I don't expect VM installers will want to do that. I am an electrician by trade so I could install the cables beforehand but have had some conflicting advice on what cable should be used and whether the engineers will connect to it once I have installed it.

Can anyone offer any advice on the cable I should be using and if it's ok for me to install it prior to VM engineers visiting?

Thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving House New Install

you can't run the cables yourself.
all you can do it run conduit and pull-strings to allow the cables to be placed where you need them to be.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you cannot use your own cable - it must be supplied by VM - - you can put pull cords in and/or ducts and they will try to feed cables - whist not exactly correct you could ask them to lay cables above the floorboards and you could then re route then - as long as you dont change anything it would not affect the setup

the above would be down to the tech on the day

not sure what you are going to get on the day with covid restrictions - they will not do some work on existing installs and that may also be true of new installs - you might not get the 3 tv boxes installed - you need to discuss that when you place the order

Tony
0 Kudos
willf
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. Don't think conduit is going to help just due to the layout of the house. Would be handy if I could just get the correct cable from VM and install it myself beforehand.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you can't get the cable yourself and install it yourself, so that's out of the question.
you said you wanted it under the floorboars, so you create the route for the cable yourself under the floorboards and leave a pull string so the cable can be pulled thru from the entry point on the external wall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:
you can't get the cable yourself and install it yourself, so that's out of the question.
you said you wanted it under the floorboars, so you create the route for the cable yourself under the floorboards and leave a pull string so the cable can be pulled thru from the entry point on the external wall.

cable has been supplied in the past but its an uphill struggle - if you can get a pre install visit booked then no harm is asking - even if one dept supplies it its still down to the tech on the day

as i said above your best option is to have it cabled above the floorboards and you then re route it - not exactly correct but ...............

Tony
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

most tech will refuse, They will be held to account for the install and should the cable they can't see me used and damaged (nail through it for example) and it injects noise the tech would be the one sign it off and resposaible.

Most will not sign off work they did not do even if its VM cable
0 Kudos