cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More money for what?

AndyU
Dialled in

I understand inflation. 

I understand as consumers we demand more for less.

I don't understand how VM have the nerve to demand 2x more money for EXACTLY the same service as a new customer.

Loyalty goes both ways.

What am I paying above and beyond my neighbours for?

5 REPLIES 5

annorax
Superfast

If you've recently got the price increase notification you can  give your 30 days notice and get a new customer deal with another ISP.

Only downside with that is you'll start complaining again when the new customer deal ends and you'll end paying the full price of your package.

TresFrustre
Up to speed

The system is designed to promote competition between broadband suppliers. It rewards consumers who actively switch as soon as their massively discounted minimum contract term ends. The government and OFCOM want to see consumers play the ‘game’. Customer churn is encouraged to prove competition is working.

Loyalty to one’s provider simply does not pay. Loyalty is a weakness. I would go so far as to say that loyalty shows one to be a ‘mug’. Many people on this forum quote the number of years they’ve been with Virgin Media. These people have been subject to annual incremental price increases, fairly small in themselves but which over the years have a cumulative effect, so that the price they are paying is double that offered to a new customer for the same service.

There’s likely indirect age discrimination because the longer a customer has been with VM the more profitable they are and so the more VM will do to put off that customer leaving. Unfortunately, many older British people are not adept at haggling; it’s not in their nature. So you’ll find complaints on this forum referencing “my elderly mother”, “my 85 year old father”, paying high rates. If you’re no good at haggling, don’t use the right words or haven't done your homework you won’t get offered much off your current price.

Look at it from VM’s viewpoint. The long standing customer has been paying the full price for maybe years without complaint. Offer a few quid off and they're likely to be happy and stay. Why offer a greater discount? Why not make it as difficult as possible for this type of customer to leave? They’re the most profitable type of customer – a ‘cash cow’. Virgin Media (and other providers) will do what it takes to keep them. Wake up and smell the coffee! I’m just saying how it is. No disrespect to the OP. After all, I’m one of the mugs – but after 18 years I’m off!

Excellent advice and reasoning. I am exactly in the same frame of mind and after 20++ years am currently investigating options. One is BT, the other is VM broadband/freeview and recording box. Very tempting and not too much of an anxious time or leap forward for me as a 76 year old. I think the best advice is to work out which tv channels you actual use regularly. Is VM 200 speed really necessary? And a tv aerial only(?) costs £150 including helpful set up.

Loyalty has to work both ways. But no big company nowadays cares really on an individual basis. So, work out your options realistically beforehand and get prepared to change. Then take a gamble. 

Finally, I am interested. You say you are off. What is your escape route?

I'm moving to BT Home Essentials £20/month 'social tariff'!
If I stayed with Virgin my current tariff will increase to almost £77 in March (although I was offered a reduction to £58). I'll be 'sacrificing' pay and record TV plus my broadband speed will be less.

Rich12
Dialled in

I did a post on the price increase, and when i phoned vm to question this price increase yet again, reply was in improve / upgrade there network.

But like i said before, its there network why must we fit the bill for there property , try asking vm to fit the bill to upgrade your tv to watch there property on, good luck with that.