Menu
waddi2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Membership of the community

I must blow off steam a bit after spending an hour trying to get through to the community. It seems logging on to Virgin Media is not enough, and there is a separate and additional login for the community. I thought I used my blueyonder address as user name, but it is too long to be accepted. Having failed to log in, the only recourse was to register again, but my email address was rejected on the grounds it is already in use! Technical help on the phone was no use at all. In the end I had to set up a gmail account simply to get round the problem, and that is where, presumably, any comment on this will go. Why is it so difficult to use the community help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Membership of the community

All major Community sites operate on a similar basis. As well as quoting your email address for initial verification and communication purposes, you have to set up a public identity for use on the site. If you didn’t and used your email address instead, then the hackers and spammers who scan such public sites would be very happty to pick up and use your email address from your posted question for their own purposes.

chenks
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@waddi2 wrote:

I must blow off steam a bit after spending an hour trying to get through to the community. It seems logging on to Virgin Media is not enough, and there is a separate and additional login for the community.

you really don't want your virgin account linked to a forum account - that's just waiting for a disaster to happen.
the more separation the better.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi As others have said it's a public forum so you create an identity on it, it's relatively easy to do.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's a security thing; if this was part of your account, nefarious types could delete all your services etc.  As it stands, they would only have access to a limited amount of data.  Since it's comments only, there is no need for it to be part of your account.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.