Menu
NWalker
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

March price increase

I agreed a price reduction for my package a few months ago. It was for 18 months and I asked twice during the conversation whether the price was fixed not subject to any annual increase and told the person the reason for asking, which was that I had been caught out with a price increase a few years ago whe I thought the price was fixed. Twice the lady confirmed no price increase so I agreed to the reduction. When it came through it was 50p per month dearer than I agreed but hey ho, only 50p so I let it go. Anyway, I've now received a price increase letter saying £3 extra from March. What is the point of believing anything Virgin reps tell me?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: March price increase

did you read the Ts&Cs of the contract you agreed to?
it would have mentioned in the small print that price increase may occur mid-contract.

the increase allows you to leave without penalty.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
NWalker
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Of course I read the T and C's but they are standardised and the conversation I had with the rep was very specific and should have over-ridden them, otherwise what was the point?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the Ts&Cs in the contract override anything a rep may have said to you once you accepted the contract.

assuming you read them and noticed a difference in what was written compared to what they said you should have rejected the contract and sought out to seek in writing any agreement about prices.

do you have any evidence/proof of what the rep said?

0 Kudos
NWalker
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well thanks for telling it how it is. You know as well as I do that a member of Joe Public isn't in a position to renegotiate standard T&C's with a company as large as VM, due to the imbalance of power between them. And before you tell me I am free to leave, yes I know I am free to leave. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

talk to retentions - but only UK retentions they may be able to absorb all or some of the price increase

Tony
NWalker
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As for evidence, no I didn't secretly record the conversation. That would have been a bit ignorant, and telling the rep "by the way I'm recording this" before I started the discussion isn't a good way to gain a rapport.

0 Kudos
NWalker
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you I will try this. 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@NWalker wrote:

As for evidence, no I didn't secretly record the conversation. That would have been a bit ignorant, and telling the rep "by the way I'm recording this" before I started the discussion isn't a good way to gain a rapport.

you could have asked for confirmation of it in writing, via email or letter.
you already know that though.

as per the post above, if you want to try and re-negotiate your contract then speak to retentions, but you need to be prepared to actually leave if you don't get the result you want. afterall, why would you want to stay with a company that misleads you.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@NWalker wrote:

you could have asked for confirmation of it in writing, via email or letter.
you already know that though.

as per the post above, if you want to try and re-negotiate your contract then speak to retentions, but you need to be prepared to actually leave if you don't get the result you want. afterall, why would you want to stay with a company that misleads you.

i am not suggesting the OP renegotiates his contract simply have a chat with retentions and see if they can look at the price increase

as posted elsewhere on here some have been given a 6 month holiday on the price increase simply by ringing - no agent was spoken to i understand - just follow the retention prompts and see if the offer cuts in - if not then speaking to them may may get the offer

Tony
0 Kudos