cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M100 price!...

Elmo46
Joining in

Can anyone explain to me why... M100 broadband only is £44.00 p/m... And M100 with a landline is £27.00 p/m...? Doesn't make sense to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Most customers will use a landline for outgoing calls, but even if they don't use it for outgoing calls, behind the scenes telcos get paid wholesale rates for incoming call traffic, so there's money to be made from people calling you.  I can't be bothered to check whether it still applies, but it used to be the case that VM even charged the originating telco for "ring tone no reply" calls, meaning they made money if you had a landline installed and never answered it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Most customers will use a landline for outgoing calls, but even if they don't use it for outgoing calls, behind the scenes telcos get paid wholesale rates for incoming call traffic, so there's money to be made from people calling you.  I can't be bothered to check whether it still applies, but it used to be the case that VM even charged the originating telco for "ring tone no reply" calls, meaning they made money if you had a landline installed and never answered it.

Once the network infrastructure is in place it costs little to provide and maintain landline services, and these days VM needs its techs to do less work on phone sockets as handsets are connected to hubs for new and moved customers. So, by encouraging customers to add landline to their broadband at low prices these customers will quite likely become that bit more tied to VM, and will earn some money for VM when they make chargeable calls.

Furthermore, the number of landline customers isn't trivial as it's over 4.6m, and as most of these are capable of moving to Sky or BT you can see why VM would be keen to keep them.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Landline is always good for calling VM on 150 when you have any faults or network problems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tudor wrote:

Landline is always good for calling VM on 150 when you have any faults or network problems.

Worth adding for completeness that 150 can also be used from a VM mobile to contact VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks