Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Live TV free Virgin Media channel

Are virgin Media missing out on a great business opportunity?

With all the defund the BBC and people canceling their TV licenses, why don't Virgin Media provide a television package that does not include any live TV channels, with this, everybody can sign up for the package and then cancel their television licenses.

If Virgin Media was to do this they would corner the market in new subscriptions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Live TV free Virgin Media channel

so what would this tv package include that doesn't include any live TV channels?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I didn't explain this very well.

The object is to remove any channels that show live content i.e BBC, ITV etc, if you do not watch these channels you do not have to have a television license>

I never watch BBC, not interest in Eastenders...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

the license is required to watch all live tv, not just the BBC.

so if the package doesn't include any live tv what exactly does the package include?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

live tv means every single channel. everything from nickelodeon to itv to talking pictures.

what is left after that are streaming channels. netflix, britbox etc who offer on demand click and play shows/films. a packaged streaming service is the closest thing you would get to what you are after.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

so you mean itv hub,4OD etc, netflix, amazon prime and disney plus
already got all that and no TV License its called a fire stick 🙂 and its cheaper than VM would end up changing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@TheBluesBrother wrote:

Are virgin Media missing out on a great business opportunity?

With all the defund the BBC and people canceling their TV licenses, why don't Virgin Media provide a television package that does not include any live TV channels, with this, everybody can sign up for the package and then cancel their television licenses.

If Virgin Media was to do this they would corner the market in new subscriptions.

TV Platforms carry live linear TV channels. Streaming services only require an internet connection. Virgin is already an internet provider. There are already a plethora of boxes & sticks that just plug into your TV, like the Xbox or Fire stick so Virgin would be wasting their money developing one with out the linear channels. Even on Virgin’s existing boxes the app owners have to develop & maintain their own apps. Why should they pay out to do that when people can just get the aforementioned devices that already have them.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The only company to gain from the tv licence is the BBC all the others use adverts for there money thats why all the over 75's tv licence has been set by the BBC and no one else.
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

not sure what relevance that has to the thread.
but to correct you, the over 75s license was previously paid for by the government, they have stopped paying this and passed it on the BBC to fund. they have a choice of whether to use the income from the licence to pay for it, or have the licence holder pay for it.

personally i don't see why over 75s should get it for free. everyone else has to pay for it so why shouldn't they?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

personally i don't see why over 75s should get it for free. everyone else has to pay for it so why shouldn't they?

No one has to pay for it. Just don't watch live tv.

the TV license is criminal anyway.

I can't pay sky for movie channels because i won't pay the BBC.

Thats like me making you may me for access to my website if you want to use any other site on the internet.
How does that even work in 2020.

0 Kudos