Menu
kloopk
On our wavelength
Message 411 of 413
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

You should start a thread on the tech natter about all this its very interesting, looking I think you know the larger circles are the battery terminals, but the component in the middle could be the coil that's found in quartz timing watch's to fine tune the accuracy bit it's hard to tell if its that or an early transistor

Gillyathome
Up to speed
Message 412 of 413
Flag for a moderator

the only update I have this week is watch news.. nothing from virgin's solicitor...  it's interlude time

I put the watch PCB in a pot of distilled white vinegar.. it fizzed like a mento in a bottle of fizz, for hours..

this neutralized the alkaline in the battery's, stopping any more damage.

the little round thing fell off Kloopk, once the vinegar had eaten away corrosion at the contacts..any wiser now kloopk ?

I thought somebody had soldered lumps on the battery terminals.. that all came off in the vinegar.

electrolysis occurred I think from the battery.....hours of work.

I guessed the CAN at the top would be a timing crystal of some type .. where do you buy replacement parts for old watches ?

cleanup.JPGBefore a Vinegar Bath and After

the lower contact that's all green on the before photo, disintegrated due to the corrosion.

ive started to rebuild it with silver conductive paint,,, it's only had 1 coat so far, few more layers needed.

where is my fiberglass pen when I need it .. arrrrrrrrrrr

Gilly.

0 Kudos
kloopk
On our wavelength
Message 413 of 413
Flag for a moderator

Hey Gilly, yeah the Silver thing at the top is a crystal. looking at these photos the unidentified component looks more like a small variable resistor, the bath probably helped it i would attempt to resolder it on and see it it works without the corrosion on it. fingers crossed
0 Kudos