Menu
Highlighted
tomgraybooks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is there anybody there?

Is anyone else having problems getting through to customer services in the online chat? I tried this morning, but after waiting for over an hour, I gave up and tried again. My latest effort has been going since 11.34 this morning, and it's now 14.47.  Seriously?  Over three hours to chat to someone?  All I want is a link to downgrade my package.  I've looked all over the website, but the only option I am given is to upgrade, not remove packages.

Andruser
Super solver
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there anybody there?

AFAIK you can't do package changes by chat, added to which chat availability is so pathetic that VM might as well not have bothered.  I believe that the chat service is provided by the same offshore call centre that (sometimes) answers support calls, but only as an "infill" job, meaning that when that call centre is busy there's no staff available to respond on chat.

You have to phone 150, choose options like "about my account" until you get something like "upgrade/change package".  They can down-grade as well as upsell.  If you're out of contract you might want to consider phoning 150, "about my account", go through options to "thinking of leaving", and tell the retentions agent (UK based staff) that you want a lower cost deal, whether by discount, by removing extras, or if need be you'll be off to a competitor.  Before doing this, look on Uswitch to see what the best value offers are from VM competitors for broadly comparable packages.  If it helps, give the VM retentions agent a monthly budget and say "I can get what I need from (say) Sky for that, what is the best VM can offer?"

tomgraybooks
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.  I managed to upgrade last year by chat, so things must be different now.  I called and asked how much it would be if I took away sky sports and movies, and it only saved me £35 a month.  I've already looked at Sky and I can get the same package for just £90 (a saving of £28) for the first 18 months, so I'll probably go with them.

0 Kudos
tomgraybooks
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I called again and managed to get £7 off.  While I was on the phone I was reminded by my wife that I would lose all my recorded programs if I went with Sky, so I had to accept the offer as we've got loads of films still to watch.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Super solver
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ahhhhh...well better than a kick in the teeth, but over the 12 month lock in of vour new contract, that's £28 Sky saving you've foregone for a £7 VM saving, so £21 a month difference for 12 months...£252 more for VM.  Hopefully those films are worth more.

Next year, as your 12 month lock in comes up you might want to actually cancel.  You're a premium customer, taking a big, expensive bundle, and they'll give you a far better offer than a paltry seven quid if they really think they'll lose you, but they'll only offer that during your notice period rather than when you phone up and say "might go, might not go, what's yet best deal?"

Sadly that's how the customer retention game is played these days.

0 Kudos
tomgraybooks
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

They didn't lock me into a new contract (she specifically said as much), just gave me that deal for 12 months.  Once I've watched the films and TV shows we've recorded, I might see what other offers Sky have.  You'd think that after 18 years with Virgin, they'd offer a bigger discount, but apparently not.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Super solver
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

They didn't lock me into a new contract (she specifically said as much), just gave me that deal for 12 months

That's good, and if she said that it is legally binding on VM, and there will be call recordings to verify that.  So long as you're happy for at least 12 months then it doesn't matter either way, but you might want to keep an eye on what VM think your contract is through My Virgin Media.  Every time I've haggled for a discount there's been a new twelve month lock in.

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You'll probably find that the recording you need hasn't been recorded.

Better to check the email or the mail you get sent to ensure there is no contract, don't forget you get the cooling off period.

VM are notorious for contracting you when they say they haven't, see the many posts around the forums.

0 Kudos
tomgraybooks
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I got a confirmation email, and under Contract Started, the date is blank.  There's just today's date when the package changed.  If they haven't got a recording, it's okay.  I have my own 🙂  I just listened to it, and she clearly states that she isn't renewing my contract, she's just giving me this offer for 12 months.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Wait for a VM mod to comment on here - but the common wisdom is that any change of package auto-starts a new contract. Will be interesting to find out if yours really hasn't.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos