Menu
loneriderD
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is our Investment being used correctly

• Investing and increasing monthly fees is something we all have to acknowledge. However, phoning 150  waiting 20mins until someone answers the call, I think is not money well worth spent.
  • Corporate emails by default saying the decision to increase our price packages is never an easy decision but we know that this will happen every year aimed at the first time subcribers but those who have been with, Telewest all the way to Virgin Media will be familiar with price increases happening every year. Those new to Virgin media will probably be questioning why does my bill keep getting larger. VM is a lead player and their BB package is excellent. 
  • With all these price increases, surely they can sort out the waiting time on the phone or is that part of the business that has not been invested in. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is our Investment being used correctly

Virgin media are a business they are in it for one thing. Making money for the share holders. Customers are not the reason behind what they do.

You can accept how they want to run things or more somewhere that is more to your liking.

Nothing anyone can do so make them change

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

as i always say 'companies are there to make money first then provide a service'.

'Is our Investment being used correctly'
you aren't investing in anything. you are buying a product.

as for call waiting times. call centres get busy, that is the way companies want it. when i ran a call centre we had a lax period. i was told to get rid of the temps by the ceo. of course this then made the rest busy. companies certainly won't pay for call centre agents to sit there with their headsets looking into thin air. we had to be busy at all times whilst trying to stick to personal and the overall team targets.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The two things that indicate a poorly run C/S operation are..

1: Excess call waiting times, where callers consistently can't get through. This demonstrates understaffing.

2: Excess agent availability, where staff are idle for extended periods - this demonstrates overstaffing.

It's the job of any call centre management to strike the right balance between these two. At the moment, if even half of the posts on this board about C/S waits are correct, then Virgin is guilty of "1" at the moment.

Any company can be caught out by spikes in demand, I don't think many of us have a problem with that. Not reacting to said spikes or dealing with consistent queues, that's another issue.

chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

in the real world it's almost impossible to have a middle ground between 1 and 2, unless you employee people on a day-by-day basis.

generally you are always going to swing over to either mostly 1 or mostly 2.
i think it's obvious which one is less derisable if you are running a business.
0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'd agree with you to an extent, but this is where companies who genuinely excel at customer service stand out.

The obvious example is First Direct. Quite a few years ago they went through a stage of having call queues and when I complained about it, they apologised by sending out a rather nice hamper.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

which costs them less than employing more agents.
i bet call queues didn't drastically improve though.

i'll guarantee the hamper costs didn't come out of profits though. it'll be charged back elsewhere somewhere down the line.
0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
which costs them less than employing more agents.
i bet call queues didn't drastically improve though.

i'll guarantee the hamper costs didn't come out of profits though. it'll be charged back elsewhere somewhere down the line.

Actually, call queues disappeared entirely within a couple of weeks of the "episode". First Direct don't have IVRs - you call their number, and a human being answers. Usually within a couple of rings, very occasionally it may take a minute or two. Their rates aren't the best, but their service consistently is.

Like I say, the vast majority of companies have slogans of "offering the best customer service". There's very few that actually manage it. Not that it matters, but I'd put Virgin as very much average-at-best.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

every company appears to have "award winning" something, which is strange.