Menu
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Interesting VM/O2 merger speculation !

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/o2-uk-and-broadband-isp-virgin-media-reportedly-in-mer...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Interesting VM/O2 merger speculation !

These kind of rumours fly around a fair lot, last year it was Vodafone & VM Merger. Unless it's confirmed by either party, it's just another waste. 
A merger with Vodafone would make more sense seeing as they already have 1Gb services via their CityFibre Partnership. Plus with the switch to Vodafone in 2021 for mobile, that would make more sense than merging with ANOTHER mobile provider. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I mean, merging with O2 also gives them the O2 ADSL customers aswell as them then being able to own their own cell network instead of just being a virtual cell network like they currently are

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@shanematthews wrote:

I mean, merging with O2 also gives them the O2 ADSL customers aswell as them then being able to own their own cell network instead of just being a virtual cell network like they currently are

I don't think O2 ADSL is active much/at all, they don't advertise it on their website at all other than support where they basically give a rundown of ADSL and ADSL2+.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

O2 broadband was sold to Sky some years ago. 

The O2 mobile network has good coverage but regularly comes 3rd or last out of the main 4 networks for data speed, it doesn't hold much spectrum relative to the total number of customers.

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

The O2 mobile network has good coverage but regularly comes 3rd or last out of the main 4 networks for data speed, it doesn't hold much spectrum relative to the total number of customers.

That could possibly change with the upcoming auction to be fair.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Interesting VM/O2 merger speculation ! It's ON

it looks as if it's going to happen !

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/virgin-media-and-o2-agree-uk-broadband-and-mobile-merg...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Aaron2 wrote:

@cje85 wrote:

That could possibly change with the upcoming auction to be fair.

It could but the auction has been delayed due to Covid, plus O2 themselves have decided to take legal action against Ofcom as they aren't happy with the way the spectrum is being auctioned, which may delay it even further.

Fingers crossed they have lots more spectrum by the time they move over Virgin Mobile to O2, which is the plan according to the press release about the merger:

"Migration of Virgin Media mobile traffic to Telefonica UK’s network;"

https://www.nationalconnectivitychampion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Liberty-Global-and-Telefon... (Page 4)

0 Kudos
Luke198824
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I can't see what the problem is with virgin media and o2 to join together as one network. 

0 Kudos
Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

I was a O2 BB customer (and mobile) and joined VM when they did that sell off.

Their mobile deals weren't too great years ago, so I ended up switching that to VM as well. I don't think they are a good company price/offering wise, but it looks like this merge could go through.

0 Kudos