Menu
Seatrout
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Improving my service ?????

So about 15 mins ago we got an unexpected total loss of broadband.

I reboot router, check connections and forget and re log into router.....nothing

Check status online using my mobile phone and says everything OK.

Ring 150 and receive a message to say "we are working to improve your service in the SA4 *** area and you may experience a loss of broadband for short periods. You should be reconnected by 3pm".

Working to improve my service suggests this is something planned.

If it's planned how come you haven't notified me in advance?

4 + hrs of unexpected disconnection is not a short period.

What's happened to Virgin Media customer Service?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Improving my service ?????

advanced notification of works isn't something that is done, and never has been AFAIK.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've never had any notification of downtime and I've been a cable customer since 1998. I have to say that four hours without broadband is a small price to pay for improved service.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

have to disagree with the 2 posters above - i did - a year or so ago get a letter informing me of impending upgrades to the network in my area and that the internet would be off on a certain day

it never went off on that day - whether the upgrade happened i have no idea 

since then my experience is as above - the internet goes off - it come back on - i get no prior notification - it happens - buy a book - go for a walk - life goes on

Tony
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In the distant past, we certainly had letters in advance of planned downtime, but not every time.

It's not happened for several years, but equally the outages are rarely more than half an hour and certainly nowhere near the full 4hour window. Standard Change Management practice applies.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have also had an outage today without any prior notification, customer services recorded message stated ‘system upgrade’ will return by 15:00. Came back well before that. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Residential services generally don't notify customers of planned work if its minor, however business customers are notified of works in the area as i have a couple of them myself 😛