Menu
CCTV
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hub 5 powerline

So I said “yes” to the new hub 5. Delivered yesterday, installed today. However…. it is not playing nice with my existing Virgin powerlines. Despite having same name and password, they appear as two separate networks. If I’m connected to the router and my printer connected to powerline, I can’t print. Phoned Virgin- they tell me the hub 5 isn’t compatible with powerline ( but they ARE getting internet??). Feeling frustrated and regretting “upgrading “ as it’s a backward step. And where is the WPS key on the Hub 5? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 5 powerline

I suggest your reset the powerlines to their shipped state and reinstall them to the Hub5. A lot of downstream devices will work with a new router, but it’s never guaranteed, always best to reinstall them. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
CCTV
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor. If I can summon the fortitude today I will try that. 

charlie

0 Kudos
CCTV
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tudor. So that didn’t work I’m afraid. They are not compatible with the Hub 5 it seems 

onto my fourth call to Virgin in last 28 hours- they keep cutting me off midway- and seems the answer is WiFi pods. But they will only send them one at a time, despite having provided 3 powerlines previously 

No way to spend my weekend 😡🤯🤦‍♂️

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

VM pods not not currently working with the Hub5. I have not heard of any powerline adaptors being incompatible with the Hub5. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
CCTV
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Oh no! But Virgin said that will fix the issue 🤯. Spent most of today trying to get one of powerlines to properly synch and no joy. And I thought 💭 pods were the answer. 
Do I sense more heartache ahead? I understood they were a compatible Mesh system?

0 Kudos
JJG92
Dialled in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

This is a long shot but I hade the same issue with my Netgear RAX120 and a powerline it would connect but with no Internet and showed 2 of the same names and the issue was the wifi security my RAX120 was set to WPA3,  I set it to WPA2-persnal [AES] and it worked perfectly.

Gig1/ Hub 5 / Orbi / Nighthawk SX10 Pro / Netgear External Beta Tester
My Broadband Ping - Gig1
CCTV
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I have no idea what’s going on now. I reset one of the powerlines in the Hope starting from scratch would work. Like the others it will get internet connection from the hub, but it won’t adopt their name/ password and it constantly flashes with the red arrows. But if you join it as a separate network ( meaning I now have 3 in the house) I can connect to internet in that room. I’ve synched and WPSd 3 times and same outcome 
was all working fine till I put the Hub 5 in so feels like a downgrade 

0 Kudos
CCTV
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well the pods will be here this evening. Doubt I'll start trying them tonight but will let you know if I get them working and will let Virgin know if they don't.

I can seem e asking for my old router back but lets hope not.  As Pods are a mesh system,  tight they received, amplified and re broadcast the wifi signal so they'd work? Or is it something tom do with being wifi 6 on the Hub 5?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@CCTV wrote:

Well the pods will be here this evening. Doubt I'll start trying them tonight but will let you know if I get them working and will let Virgin know if they don't.

I can seem e asking for my old router back but lets hope not.  As Pods are a mesh system,  tight they received, amplified and re broadcast the wifi signal so they'd work? Or is it something tom do with being wifi 6 on the Hub 5?

who sent you the pods - VM obviously but they dont work with the hub5 so dont waste your time - i understand from another thread 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wi-fi-booster-for-hub-5/m-p/4885993#M448049

that wifi boosters - the old powerlines work with the hub5 

Tony.
Ex VIP
0 Kudos