Menu
Kevin_Llanelli
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How long to get 2 miles down the road?

Further to my original thread, Virgin have installed on Pembrey Road in Llanelli and a number of surrounding streets.  I've checked Roadworks.org and nothing currently logged on there for Virgin outside the main Llanelli area for the next 12 months.

I kind of sucks that Virgin are 2 miles away from my location but there's no information as to when or if they will actually get to us.  Currently I am on a TalkTalk contract which expires on June 20th 2020 (7 months away) and would jump ship to Virgin if they got to my location (SA15 4AU) by then.

Regards

Kevin

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: How long to get 2 miles down the road?

i'm sure i've said before, but unless you actually see them digging your street then assume that it won't be happening.
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It looks like Virgin have put expansion on hold for a while, and in place have been concentrating on making faster speeds available (such as 500mb and 1GB).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

2 miles. Thats only about £1 Million of work 🙂

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Kevin_Llanelli
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well they were digging up Pembrey road last week and streetworks.org have them scheduled to be digging up surrounding streets as well so it doesn’t look like the expansion is on hold. 

Its just a little frustrating currently as I max out at 50Mb on a good day, often just 40Mb whilst paying for a 70Mb connection and there are no options other than FTTC in my area.

OpenReach have no plans to bring GFast to my area and FTTP is a pipe dream in rural Wales, so the fact Virgin are in the same postcode and covered a big chunk of the town our village comes under was quite encouraging.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i get no FTTC here DSL only. cable me first 😛 lol

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Kevin_Llanelli
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had DSL only until just over a year ago, I was lucky if I had 1Mbit/sec down and 512Kbit/sec up for years. Unfortunately, despite Openreach re-cabling is to the pole my speed fluctuates almost daily. The router shows it is capable of 69Mbit/sec (not TalkTalk’s, I bought a new AC one) but I never get above 40/50Mbit/sec, yet the same client device gets 360Mbit/sec on the same model router connected to the Virgin hub in modem mode at my partner’s.

0 Kudos
Cawsie
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are they in town centre yet? 

I'm in Coedcae and connected inthe summer

0 Kudos
matthewcurtis
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Seems the rollout is on pause for the moment, the street next to me had theirs done around 3 months ago, my street hasn't been touched, and I have not seen any other works being done in the area for the last few months, I even had a letter through the door a few months ago saying work would begin soon, so something has clearly happened since then, very frustrating considering I am just one street away! 

0 Kudos