cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How easy is it to downgrade broadband package to save money?

bob_a_job
Tuning in

Hello, I really need to start considering reducing costs wherever I can as my mortgage and energy bills are through the roof now and I am being left with very little money after all the bills are paid and I have a family to feed.

My question is please can I discuss with someone about downgrading to a (much) cheaper broadband option or cancelling altogether?  I am spending ~£70 a month at the moment (on just broadband) and whilst it is a luxury, I think the time has come to start tightening the purse-strings as times are becoming tough.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Try calling up, selecting options for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving".  Reports here suggest response times are massively variable from a couple of minutes to hours (with regular hourly disconnections), and that the response you'll get on trying to significantly reduce cost will be equally variable.  When you make the call (inbound) the agents generally have less leeway than outbound call agents phoning you and trying to retain a customer who has cancelled and is in the 30 day notice period.  Because retentions agents generally have a fixed discount budget in a given time period and a bonus based on tiered levels of customers retained, then there's no logic from your perspective to what they'll offer you - if they're already up to their maximum personal retention quota for the period, then there's no logic for them to offer you any discount, even though the agent next to them my be down on quota, and using their discount allowance very generously. 

Looking at what's within your control, your leverage to getting a deal is the belief by the agent that you will be prepared to leave - not "loyalty" or how long you've been a customer.  Don't be distracted by the agent prattling on about the VM speed advantage, or offered benefits that don't have a real cash value to you (eg a monthly SIM at no extra charge is of no value unless you've got another mobile deal you can cancel without penalty).  Best bet is to arm yourself with knowledge of what competitors will offer you as a new customer say via Uswitch, MoneySupermarket, those meerkats etc, phone and offer your 30 days notice, and see what they come up with.  If the phone experience is all too much, cancel VM by recorded post and order a different ISP for installation at the end of your VM contract, and wait and see if you get an outbound retention call, then review - either reject that, or cancel the new ISP.  But if you really want to stay, don't blame me if you miss that VM call, or it is never made.....

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Try calling up, selecting options for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving".  Reports here suggest response times are massively variable from a couple of minutes to hours (with regular hourly disconnections), and that the response you'll get on trying to significantly reduce cost will be equally variable.  When you make the call (inbound) the agents generally have less leeway than outbound call agents phoning you and trying to retain a customer who has cancelled and is in the 30 day notice period.  Because retentions agents generally have a fixed discount budget in a given time period and a bonus based on tiered levels of customers retained, then there's no logic from your perspective to what they'll offer you - if they're already up to their maximum personal retention quota for the period, then there's no logic for them to offer you any discount, even though the agent next to them my be down on quota, and using their discount allowance very generously. 

Looking at what's within your control, your leverage to getting a deal is the belief by the agent that you will be prepared to leave - not "loyalty" or how long you've been a customer.  Don't be distracted by the agent prattling on about the VM speed advantage, or offered benefits that don't have a real cash value to you (eg a monthly SIM at no extra charge is of no value unless you've got another mobile deal you can cancel without penalty).  Best bet is to arm yourself with knowledge of what competitors will offer you as a new customer say via Uswitch, MoneySupermarket, those meerkats etc, phone and offer your 30 days notice, and see what they come up with.  If the phone experience is all too much, cancel VM by recorded post and order a different ISP for installation at the end of your VM contract, and wait and see if you get an outbound retention call, then review - either reject that, or cancel the new ISP.  But if you really want to stay, don't blame me if you miss that VM call, or it is never made.....

Thank you for this detailed response.  I think I am out of contract (would be good to be able to clarify this on the site) so it looks like it might be quite easy to just send a letter and choose a cheapy ADSL provider or something for like £10 a month if I can find one.  I'll start shopping around, thank you again for your input here.

Even if you can find one at a tenner a month, that's barely enough to cover the costs of a company's billing systems, never mind the service itself, so there's a lot of negative implications around that.  I reckon around £20-25 for broadband only or BB+phone is the minimum sort of price for which you might reasonably expect some basic level of competence in service delivery and customer services, and there's deals with acceptable speeds on offer for that sort of money.  Bear in mind not all companies are the same - BT and Sky for example are far, far less complained about than the likes of VM, Shell or Vodafone.  Shop wisely!

You may find somebody offering a tenner a month service, it could even be a valid offer - but if you do ask yourself how they can offer a deal so cheaply, and why they are choosing to do so.  Ultimately all companies need to make money for shareholders, and even if they're pricing near enough at cost, there's strategy somewhere to make money out of customers.  In the case of cheap social tariffs, those exist to placate politicians, and in the hope that customers on hard times can be retained until they can be brought back onto a more viable tariff (for the company). 

Yea I suppose the tenner a month idea was just a way of me saying about finding a much cheaper one, forgive me I was typing on my phone in a work break so was just spewing ideas out as I thought them.  Yes £20-25 would be reasonable.

eagleowl68
Joining in

My broadband is over 160 pounds a month-there's no way I can afford anywhere near that now

@eagleowl68 wrote:

My broadband is over 160 pounds a month-there's no way I can afford anywhere near that now

Did you phone VM to renegotiate/renew/cancel as suggested in your own topic on the subject of downgrading back in May?

Without doing this, your package price will remain at £160.

WOW

sayekm
Fibre optic

£160 sounds like a long-term customer with yearly price hikes on their top package including the premium TV service...AMMMEEEENNN

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

eagleowl68
Joining in

I've just found 100 mps fibre with one of the ''big four'' mobile phone providers for 26 pounds a month.I need a new mobile phone anyway,so....!