cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having both Sky TV and broadband and virgin TV and Broadband

Joining in

I have a friend moving in to my place for a bit and to save cancellation fees etc we are wondering if it would be possible to have my virgin media (TV, broadband, landline etc) with his sky (TV, broadband, landline etc). Obviously will be in different rooms. 

My understanding is that they're different wires and it will be OK. Is this true?

I've renewed recently with Virgin and he with Sky both long term contract. Please help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@202104 wrote:

I have a friend moving in to my place for a bit and to save cancellation fees etc we are wondering if it would be possible to have my virgin media (TV, broadband, landline etc) with his sky (TV, broadband, landline etc). Obviously will be in different rooms. 

My understanding is that they're different wires and it will be OK. Is this true?

I've renewed recently with Virgin and he with Sky both long term contract. Please help 

Your friend just needs to tell Sky that they are moving to a new address & require an install at that address. It’s not a change of provider & as Sky are not taking over a line being used by anyone else, there is no need to even mention that Virgin is already installed at the address. The only thing I would be careful of is that installers have a habit of cutting a competitors wiring. Usually the excuse is so that they don’t have to drill additional holes in walls, so keep an eye on them.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media is a cable-based system, Sky is satellite-based - they are totally separate.

The phone, broadband & TV service are totally separate

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Perfect. So he will be fine to bring his package to my address and we can both continue our contracts? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @202104 

Yes you will both be able to continue your contracts and have the individual services from VM and Sky 😄

You may also want to consider cancelling one of the services if you are affected by the annual price rise introduced by both suppliers.

If affected by the price rise with VM then yuo should be able to cancel all of their services without early termination fees, however as far as I'm aware with Sky you can only cancel the broadband part of the services without penalty.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

That's great! Thank you

Does my friend need to tell sky anything? Would they try and cancel my landline/broadband if my friend doesn't mention that I'm keeping my virgin package? 

Sky TV works with any ISP, so he can cancel his broadband and use yours. What you can do is run an Ethernet cable from your hub into his room, connect it to a gigabit network switch and plug a wireless access point and his Sky box into the switch. You can charge him a modest amount for this, so it's a win-win.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sounds like a great idea but cancellation fees is something we would prefer to avoid, especially if it is possible to have both. 

Also for ease of him moving the contract and package later on it will just follow him. 

Changing your contract is often best done when your contract is due to expire.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dunno re Sky, but once VM issue a price rise letter you can cancel before the date on the letter (28/30 days?) and incur no exit fees. I am sure Dave is correct (above message 4) saying you can cancel the BB with no exit fee but not the TV package.

Have either of you had the dreaded letters/emails yet ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@202104 wrote:

Your friend just needs to tell Sky that they are moving to a new address & require an install at that address. It’s not a change of provider & as Sky are not taking over a line being used by anyone else, there is no need to even mention that Virgin is already installed at the address. The only thing I would be careful of is that installers have a habit of cutting a competitors wiring. Usually the excuse is so that they don’t have to drill additional holes in walls, so keep an eye on them.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993