cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3 ISSUE TODAY

ALF28
Super solver

My hub 3 rebooted this morning when I switched it on red lights flashing.

I had problems connecting to the hub on wifi and had to restart my laptop but got it working and used today.

Tonight I checked the setting page to find  someone else has it open, tried default password also but no access to settings page and it say's my password is wrong

strange entry on the network log critical 1970

I have a long password 27 digits so how was it hacked.

Rang 150 which did test and found something wrong and did a reset and later a helpful person checked my records ,but no info on hacking, told to reset the hub and change all password and monitor to see if it happens again see if the hub may be faulty and needing replacement and to run antivirus scan and read the virgin security hub

So would this be a faulty hub, dos attack on my Ip address, hacking, or someone has used a virgin default password to get into my hub and changed the password?

I have used several login passwords during  today, so concerned a hacker may be into my hub at this moment, so will now go and reset the hub 3 and start password changes tonight. I will also check for open ports on the hub3, they were OK yesterday and my hub settings page worked yesterday, the hacking happened at 8.00am approx  today 7/7/20201

alf28

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

31 REPLIES 31

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

6F93BBE4-E307-4E67-8757-4E6CA73DB69F.png

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My router is a Unifi Dream Machine Pro with full Threat Management turned on as shown in the above screen shot.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tudor

Thanks for you feedback, I will look at routers again, your router   Unifi Dream Machine Pro looks good, the virgin hub3 is a basic router with few settings.

I have my laptops and tablet set to use open DNS as the hub3 can not even set dns or any firewall selectivity.

I have installed  free Tiny wall firewall on my laptops which enhances the windows firewall helps control the internet connections, I will see how it goes.

alf28

HUB 3 -STARTUP LIGHTS SEQUENCE

My hub is switched off at night time when not in use.

Just recently for 4 days when starting up the power light flashes white , then the internet and wifi lights turn "flashing red" for a while  before turning to green lights with the power lights  green as well, which would stay  for a few minutes before connection to wifi. with a white power light then on.

However, today it has returned to normal, the sequence is flashing white power light, then green  wiifi and internet lights for a few minutes followed by the power light on.

I checked the connections were tight so that may have helped but nothing was loose.

My settings page is OK since the pin reset and password change.

Could this be related to the odd network log that has 3 entries in the log-

01/01/1970 00:01:42criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

alf28

Buffer6

thanks for that.

I am still with hub3 and not decided on buying my own router, my last attempt failed and I returned the router.

I believe virgin support is more difficult in modem mode. 

Own  router- It seems it is not simple and requires a set up procedure- (not plug in and go)

I am not sure what is compatible, the Unifi Dream Machine Pro I priced at £262 on amazon.

see

Virgin Media and Modem Only Mode | The Serpent

Amazon.co.uk : Unifi Dream Machine Pr

It is a concern that somebody changed my setting page password and it has happened before, not sure if this gives access to my network. It may be a weakness with the hub3?

alf28

You’re relying on software firewalls and protection. And not good ones at that.

You need hardware based protection. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Garry_ DexterSECURITY

Thanks for the advice, I am not sure what is suitable hardware in terms of  protection.

My hub 3 is not in modem mode so I have the hub 3  network to windows laptops via wifi, but also have ethernet cables I can use.

I have wifi printers, and on guest wifi channel  I have v6 box and a now box.

By hardware do you mean a router or hardware firewall and  would that be in modem mode and what is compatible with virgin.

I have tried my own old router that did once work  and it no  longer works but is an out of date tp link no longer supported.

I will buy some new kit if I know it will work.

alf28

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The vast majority of 'issues' that you have recorded in this thread are likely to be caused by your routine of switching off the Hub every night.

They are designed to be left on 24/7 and system updates are generally scheduled for the early hours of the morning.

If the Hub is off then these will be implemented when the Hub is next detected as being online. 

The 1970 dates in the log are a direct result of it being switched off.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I used to switch the hub off when the 'phone wasn't plugged into the router.  Never had any problems.

I think you need to see the VPN thread.  It may explain the weirdness.  Food for thought if nothing else. Cheers.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π