Menu
Noreen_93
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Green cabinet blocking front driveway

There is a green cabinet obstructing our driveway that could potentially hold another car if not for the cabinet being there blocking entry. Open Reach have stated the box is not theirs and suggested I contact Virgin Media. Could I request a removal and/or suggestions that could rectify my problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Green cabinet blocking front driveway

Is this a cabinet that has only just been installed?
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
Noreen_93
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No it's been in front of our property since we moved 3 years ago - not sure how long before then. We never needed to expand the driveway until now so it wasn't an issue previously. Thanks.

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The cab is going to be costly to move (talking thousands), and at your expense, and owing to the current situation not likely to happen soon.

You can request it to be moved, but even if they agree you will have to contend with the above.

0 Kudos
Noreen_93
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Could I get an idea of cost price? And if they refuse to move it could I get any benefits at all? 

0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it will be a question of costs as I can see no reason why they would want to move it.
Assuming your local road and pavement is adopted by the local authority, you have no rights over anything legitimately installed outside your property boundary.
Your only tangible opportunity to make this into an issue will have been when you bought the house.
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

£1000's Try £10,000's minimum.
You woukld have to replace all the cables going to it to every customer.

The box was installed in line with planning permission. It didn't block your drive.

Now you want to extend your drive this is one of the costs (if even possible) you will have to pay.
I wouldn't be supprised if it might end up costing £100,000 and everyone connected to it will lose service while hte work is done.

If the box branches out to other boxes you could be looking 10,000+ people losing TV, Phone and internet so VM may just flat out refuse.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

VM would have to do a survey at your cost before giving you a quote for the work, then would have to factor in lose of service for everybody who is serviced out of that cabinet, and the work involved. The last time I saw a post reporting costs it was in the region of 10's of thousands.

The boxes are normally placed in the service area where VM have had permission from the local council.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Noreen_93
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Before I close this case I need to confirm it even belongs to virgin media.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/paid-virgin-media-16k-move-broadband-cabinet-dr...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos