cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google search and IP address

pdomanski
On our wavelength

In the last day I have found that my Google Chrome searches take me to US businesses with costs in Dollars. I also found that in maps my location says I am in Florida (wish I was). When I research this (not being very techy) it shows my IP address as [MOD EDIT: Personal details], but Virgin Media shows an IP address of 192.168.0.1. Tried all ways to rectify, but no joy! Any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi MrHalfAsleep, tried your suggestion, but no joy. Thanks for your input

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @pdomanski 

Look at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ 

That site shows you have a VM IP address and it's in St Albans.

The 192.168.0.1 is a local IP address, it's the one you use to log into your VM hub.

If you log into your hub and go to Admin > Info > Wan IP Settings > IPv4 address you will see that it tallies with the one shown in the whatsmyipaddress link

As to your search taking you to US businesses and prices in dollars a lot of sites showing American currency also have drop down radio boxes allowing you to select a different currency. 

You could always go into Chrome settings and check/uninstall and add ons or extensions that shouldn't be there.

You can also go into Chrome Settings > Advanced > Reset and Cleanup and set it back to defaults.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input. Tried the things you suggested but still getting US advertisers and dollars. Changed maps back to UK but this has reverted to Florida on occassions. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the same issue occur when using an alternative search engine, for instance:

Also read [FAQ] My searches are in the wrong country or language - Google Search Community

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

pdomanski
On our wavelength

Not sure if this is the right platform but responders on this forum are far more tech savvy than me, so I am hoping I can gain some help.

I opened Google Chrome the other day and went to maps. The screen came up with a map of Florida. I know, from research that my IP adress should determine my vicinity, but obviously not. I have checked my public and private IP's and they both show that they are for the correct location. I have managed to get my map reference correct, but whenever I search for items on-line I get taken straight to US sites, selling in dollars. Even searches of local hotels in maps shows costs in Dollars.

I hope someone out there has had the same problem and managed to correct it and can help me as apparently Google are not concerned.  Again my apologies  for using this site, but needs must.

Hi Dave, Thanks for the input. Tried what you suggested and maps has now gone back to USA

Try this:

Paste this into Chrome's address bar:

chrome://settings/reset

Click on "Restore settings to their original defaults" then follow the onscreen instructions...

Delete everything else as well (clear history)

If you're using Windows 10 try Edge instead...

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Hi MrHalfAsleep, tried your suggestion, but no joy. Thanks for your input

Update on my problem. After posting my woes and receiving responses and ideas (unfortunately with no success to rectifying), my modem suddenly gave up the ghost. Nice engineer arrived this morning replaced the unit and 1 connecting cable and it was back up and running. It also appears to have cured my IP address problem.

Many thanks to those who tried to help.