Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Getting the cost down

Hello. I’m in changed financial circumstances and wondered how best to get the costs down? I’d like to keep the broadband.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting the cost down

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

any change will start a new contract

Tony
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lesbob, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It;s great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Apologies to hear about the change in your circumstances. As mentioned by -tony-, speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. They can go through your package to see what you would like to keep or change and then come up with a new package.

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Lesbob, 

Have you thought about downgrading the package you are on? Assuming you have some wriggle room there. Years ago we were on SKY TV and was forking out £70+ a month for the TV channels alone. To cut a long story short we completely cancelled Sky and went to Freeview on the box only. Did we miss anything? Not in the slightest and then spent £0 on TV for the next 5 years. We still had broadband and phone costs though but definitely better off. 

Fast forward to 2018 and we're now a Virgin customer with the main reason for switching being the quality of the broadband which is a must have for me as I work from home a lot and need a good connection because of the work I do (IT Support). So my costs have gone up vis-a-vis Sky and we were a Plusnet customer but overall we get more bang for our buck than before. Moral here is that I can live without the TV channels (and also the phone) but the broadband is quite important to maintain.

hope that's some food for thought

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@djurornic wrote:

Hi Lesbob, 

Have you thought about downgrading the package you are on? Assuming you have some wriggle room there. Years ago we were on SKY TV and was forking out £70+ a month for the TV channels alone. To cut a long story short we completely cancelled Sky and went to Freeview on the box only. Did we miss anything? Not in the slightest and then spent £0 on TV for the next 5 years. We still had broadband and phone costs though but definitely better off. 

Fast forward to 2018 and we're now a Virgin customer with the main reason for switching being the quality of the broadband which is a must have for me as I work from home a lot and need a good connection because of the work I do (IT Support). So my costs have gone up vis-a-vis Sky and we were a Plusnet customer but overall we get more bang for our buck than before. Moral here is that I can live without the TV channels (and also the phone) but the broadband is quite important to maintain.

i thought business lines were not cheap

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ahem! Smiley Wink virgin more than covers my needs though, e.g. skype calls, and the reliability of the connection with my previous home broadband supplier (Plusnet) was simply awful and dropped more times than most people have had a hot dinner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Great answer thanks. I do want to keep fast broadband as I have a firestick and other devices. I can live without a landline and really only watch channels that would be on Freeview anyway (I think?). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

if you don't take a landline you'll end up paying more for broadband than if you do take a landline.
it's called the "non-landline" tax.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@djurornic wrote:

Hi Lesbob, 

i thought business lines were not cheap

Working from home does not break any T&C's, unless hammered - clause D:8  https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you thought of upping your mobile contract with somebody like Three to an unlimited plan, for £30 ish a month you get unlimited everything, you could then ditch your Virgin contract completely  

Three us 4g and from where I am at present I get 14mb download and 3 mb upload, my relatives BT broadband is showing 3mb download and 0.8mb upload , so I am beating the pants off his broadband. 

My advice is if you don't need the so called claimed fibre broadband speeds the go mobile broadband, it follows you around just turn your phone to hotspot mode  

Simply ringing virgin and saying you wish to leave will get your broad band down to about 25 a month....trust me, just be persistant, they wont let you go easily!

0 Kudos