Menu
Highlighted
Hero
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Freeview problems caused by weather

There are widespread Freeview problems caused by atmospheric temperature inversion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50945421

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview problems caused by weather

Makes me remember back in the days when Digital Freeview was being hyped as a step froward & one of the main advantages given was "no more co-channel interference". Remember the old "venitian blind" effect on the old analogue signals that would be "wiped out" by going digital. True, you don't get this anymore, but with more & more frequencies now given up to mobile phones & hence more transmitters using the same UHF channels the situation is now worse than analogue ever was.

At least with analogue you still got a picture during CCI events. As long as the interfering signal was less than 40% strength of the wanted one it was watchable. Digital is more robust to a point, but then it stops working altogether.

Oh well, thats progress.🤣

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I subscribed to cable (the cableco was Cable London in the London Borough of Harngey) in 1998, been a cable customer since then and I have to say it's worked well. No weather problems. 😊

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I subscribed to cable (the cableco was Cable London in the London Borough of Harngey) in 1998, been a cable customer since then and I have to say it's worked well. No weather problems. 😊

Not surprising really. The fledgeling cable companies obtained analogue off-air reception using antennas in a phased array config to combat known CCI paths at their headend reception sites. The rest of the channels were picked up by satellite, which is not affected. All the feeds now come from the Langley super headend, where they are sourced from satellite or via fibre optic direct. There is still a phased array on site but I doubt it is used much.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

There are widespread Freeview problems caused by atmospheric temperature inversion.

Something else that can be attributed to climate change.🙄

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Something else that can be attributed to climate change.🙄

Nope. This is a natural weather phenomenon that has been happening since the year dot.

A simple demonstration of the physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPvn9qhVFbM 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was joking; it's difficult to convey sarcasm on here (hence the rolling eye smiley). However, others in social media land may agree.  I don't recall any analogue channels being disrupted due to it. 

It suggests a reason why my sister's TV sounds like it's underwater, along with the picture distortion despite getting more than 70% signal strength.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

I was joking; it's difficult to convey sarcasm on here (hence the rolling eye smiley). However, others in social media land may agree.  I don't recall any analogue channels being disrupted due to it. 

It suggests a reason why my sister's TV sounds like it's underwater, along with the picture distortion despite getting more than 70% signal strength.

Thought you probably were joking, but some will blame everything on it now. I don’t find it unusual that you didn’t suffer from it. Antenna height & orientation & a lot of local knowledge can go a long way to reducing or even eliminating the effect of CCI (I was involved in the domestic antenna installation business for several years back in the 80s). However, with the constant UHF channel changes & loss of spectrum now that local knowledge has become worthless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There's also quite a lot of trees round here and the antenna is quite flimsy too; rain and wind corrode them quite quickly.  The old Granada installed antenna lasted 40 odd years and died due to water ingress causing a digital box to become waterlogged (on the downstairs tv).  Even with the new antenna (on the downstairs tv) we still get a bit of distortion every now and again.  Wind caused next door's antenna to come loose and is now tilted at a 45° angle.

There have been several problems with my sister's TV antenna and she has spent a small fortune on the things and neither have worked correctly.  She had a signal box and 3 filters on it.  This was then replaced with the current antenna (minus the signal box and filters) costing her around £200 (more than the TV she bought).  Installers don't seem to have a clue what they're doing.  They also used cheap co-ax.

It rains quite a lot more than it used to.  I just find it odd that something that has been happening forever wasn't considered when forcing everyone to go digital.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

I just find it odd that something that has been happening forever wasn't considered when forcing everyone to go digital.

It was. Digital IS more robust & does not show the interfering picture on the screen. The 40% rule I gave earlier could be exceeded & still be usable with Digital. What was not factored in at switchover was all this “grabbing” of radio spectrum for mobile phones, the newest generation of which will likely work best indoors at the frequencies used for TV. So what do we get. A sell off of these frequencies that gains the treasury a whole load of money & s*d the TV viewers.