Menu
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Fraud Calls Re Virgin Media Technical Department

Hi everyone, just to make you all aware that I just received a fraudulent call saying that they are from Virgin Media Technical Department. Wanted me to run event viewer and msconfig. Played along for a bit and when he realised that I knew what he was trying to do, he started swearing at me. The standard script that they use is that there are lots of errors showing on your router. The number that he was calling from is 01742226491. Please don't fall for this scam anyone. Thanks 🙂

Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraud Calls Re Virgin Media Technical Department

1) 01742 numbers are not in use in the UK at present, so the number is fictitious (spoofed).

2) Been getting similar calls since March, as have most of the people I talk too.

These guys are literally going through every number in an STD code area, & using an OFCOM lookup tool to see which provider the number is allocated too, so they can pertain to be from that provider. Makes a lot of fun when you have ported your number to another provider, as they cannot tell this.

Let most of my calls go to Answerphone now, they just hang up if they hear a recording.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Had a couple of these recently from 07471 numbers, let them do the 'spiel' then tell them I can't fine this MSCONFIG file, or EVENTVIEWER  when they start on about the windows button, I say ' ah but I'm using Linux, does that make a difference' .............end of call.......🤣

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just tell the caller you have a Mac, that always confuses them. Have VM actually got a technical department? Reading the board they must be keeping a very very low profile!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tudor said:

Have VM actually got a technical department? Reading the board they must be keeping a very very low profile!

Probably some distant relation to the 'customer support' department.........ie: non existent !!!

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I don't really know but I'll get you crawling on the floor pulling cables in any case .
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Meanwhile... back in 2016...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Warning-to-new-computer-users-callers-claiming-to... 

and I got another yesterday. 😕

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
zzoooxx
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The burning question is Does Virgin Media now use Indian call centres and if so how on earth are we supposed to tell whether their calls are scams?!?

I'm getting these 2 or 3 times a day now.  After being very rude to the callers, telling them Virgin don't use Indian call centres I started to wonder, as my signal isn't that strong, Later I rang Virgin through 150 to ask them whether the calls were real as my tv streaming is very sluggish to the point I can't use Netflix or I-Player at all, keeps crashing the Tivo box.  Going through their telephone options I got through to an Indian call centre, hence my burning question!  The lady didn't understand much of what I was saying but advised me to go to the Virgin Media website to see whether any local problems were showing if I had further problems and ended the call.

I received a 3rd scam call today and let them take me as far as my event viewer, then they asked me to go to a website "to sort it out", all the while I was frantically googling on another tab to try to check whether it was a scam and found loads on it.  Gave the scammer a piece of my mind but I know they'll just keep right on ringing me.  Thank you to the member below who advised about the bogus 0171 prefix on the caller ID so if those show up on my phone when it rings I can safely ignore the calls but sometimes they're 0121 or just withheld.  I wish all UK companies would boycott Indian call centres as it seems to be their national pastime.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

virgin have used indian based call centres (as well as UK based centres) for quite some time.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
zzoooxx
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for clarifying that spgray!  If I ring a company & get put through to an Indian call centre I don't mind a bit, but when I receive an unexpected call from one I have had so many scam calls from there (and only there) that I dismiss all of them as scammers instantly.  I'm really worried that I might be dismissing genuine calls.  I suppose it's safe to assume that Virgin, Microsoft & banks don't have time to go to the trouble of personally ringing round all their thousands of customers to let them know if something's gone wrong with their systems!

0 Kudos