Menu
BENORMOUS
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

FTTP

My first post on this forum

Hello everyone id like some info if anyone could shed some light for me,where i live in Barnsley virgin have been rippig up the roads laying fibre to support FTTP to all the homes old and new,they came onto my road and stopped before they got as far as my estate (new estate built around 5 years ago)i spoke with a lovely lady from virgin who was overseeing the works and asked when they would get round to ours,she said she wasnt sure if it was coming this far at all and that they had plans to lay the old HFC Coax where i live....

Now its 2018 almost 19 and in this day and age we shouldnt be getting COAX put in,its full of jitter and unreliable i had it at my old address,ive also spoken to the neighbours as there is only around 12 of us on this small estate and everyone agrees we all should be getting fibre direct to our doors nobody is intersted in it and they like all like me wont be leaving fttc provided by openreach unless its for FTTP,im hoping someone from virgin will perhaps see this and maybe take a look at the plans if thats even possible,ive more than likely posted in the wrong place but im a newbie so be gentle please ha.

Thanks for reading

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: FTTP

FTTC is alot cheaper to install and run and in area that are expanded it will be FTTC. FTTH is being installed in whole new areas.
If you road is 5 years old it may be they are not allowed to install yet as the road may not of been adopted by the councel yet

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is nothing wrong with coax. Even the FTTP gets turned into a coax connection before it is presented to the customers premises equipment.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
BENORMOUS
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Apart from the fact when i had 150mb package it would slow down to around 3 mb on evenings and even the virgin engineer would tell me its a terrible service due to congestion at peak times

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@BENORMOUS wrote:

Apart from the fact when i had 150mb package it would slow down to around 3 mb on evenings and even the virgin engineer would tell me its a terrible service due to congestion at peak times

that's got nothing to do with coax or FTTP though.
it would have slowed down regardless because the issue is network conjestion, not the method of connection.

0 Kudos
BENORMOUS
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Really?how come the plusnet service ive had for years has never once given me less than 60mb on a 65mb synced line,everyone i know whos had virgin have complained about extreme slow downs in the evenings but ive never got that on fttc,im not being arsy or anything i dont want to come across like that but it seems people here dont want to admit that the coax service is simply not very good i was hoping to be finally using FTTP its a shame

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@BENORMOUS wrote:

Really?how come the plusnet service ive had for years has never once given me less than 60mb on a 65mb synced line,everyone i know whos had virgin have complained about extreme slow downs in the evenings but ive never got that on fttc,im not being arsy or anything i dont want to come across like that but it seems people here dont want to admit that the coax service is simply not very good i was hoping to be finally using FTTP its a shame

what plusnet does or doesn't is irrelevant, different network.

you seem to have a gross misunderstanding of what FTTC and FTTP is.
virgin operates two methods of connection, the existing network is FTTP (ie fibre to the street cabinet and coax to the property), the new network is FTTP (ie fibre to the outside of the property and coax for the rest).

slowdowns in the evening is due to network conjestion, ie too many customers in one particular area of the virgin network all doing lots of things at the same time. this would happen regardless of whether it was FTTC or FTTP.

oh and as far as plusnet goes (which is fibre to the street cabinet and then copper cable tot he property), i was a plusnet customer before moving to virgin, and believe me, plusnet has its fair share of network conjestion and slowdowns at times.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Plusnet needs 8Gbps for 100 customers on the top package.
VM needs 35Gbps for 100 customers on the top package.

Sure if VM limited everyone to 80mbps then you would see fewer problems.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
BENORMOUS
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The groundworks lads have done there job and have gone,i have a little grate type hatch at the end of my front garden which they have put there 

Will it be fibre in the curbs or coax?im still unsure on what exactly the servive will be

Would love fibre to the house but i dont think it is because ive seen 2 types of those black hatch service points,one is a fancy virgin branded cover and then i have one which says CATV on it

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Fibre would run right up to your wall, if its a little box on the road then you're getting coax so its FTTC aka a normal cable connection, FTTP requires a fibre termination point be installed at the premises and the cable has to be run right up to the wall as its extremely fragile compared to coax