Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Exposed cable in garden

I have three meters of coiled cable left in the front garden (I have to mow around it!) and a box on the wall with wires that are exposed and wondering how to get an engineer to come and put this right.  Have spent hours trying to figure out how to contact Virgin about this, I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions or contacts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Exposed cable in garden

First question to ask is are you a Virgin customer or have you requested Virgin be installed?

The coiled cable sounds like its the result of a cable repull.

External omniboxes are treated as a utility feed once they are installed, so Virgin are under no obligation to remove them even if you are no longer a customer.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding so quickly. 

Yes - I'm a longstanding Virgin customer - (broadband, cable TV, home phone, mobile phone).  The cable comes out of the ground (near the front wall where it comes into my front garden) and is then in numerous coils, finishing with a dead end that is bound with some yellow tape, so I'm not sure that it's connected, but feel I probably shouldn't just cut through it as it must have been left in situ for some reason.

Interesting what you say about the box - it's a brown Virgin box on the side of the house that brings the cable from the front garden and then splits it to go separately into my house and next door.  The cover is open and there are various wires sticking out, so if it isn't Virgin's responsibility maybe I just need to poke the wires back in and sellotape closed.

Any thoughts?  .......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@HP1234 wrote:

Thank you for responding so quickly. 

Yes - I'm a longstanding Virgin customer - (broadband, cable TV, home phone, mobile phone).  The cable comes out of the ground (near the front wall where it comes into my front garden) and is then in numerous coils, finishing with a dead end that is bound with some yellow tape, so I'm not sure that it's connected, but feel I probably shouldn't just cut through it as it must have been left in situ for some reason.

Interesting what you say about the box - it's a brown Virgin box on the side of the house that brings the cable from the front garden and then splits it to go separately into my house and next door.  The cover is open and there are various wires sticking out, so if it isn't Virgin's responsibility maybe I just need to poke the wires back in and sellotape closed.

Any thoughts?  .......

Now this gets interesting. Piggy back connections (connecting 2 houses to one drop line) should only be a temporary arrangement. This is usually where a second cable cannot be pulled at installation, so a shared connection is set up until one is. So what you probably have is a seperate cable pull that should be for next doors drop & omnibox.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'd go with your suggestion to get the cover of the omni box back in place. When the current crisis is over your neighbour should call VM to get the dedicated cable installed, and the tech should also do a cleanup, like removing the cable connecting your properties and replacing the splitter in your box with a barrel connector.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi HP1234,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I've sent you a private message so I can get a few more details to help with this. (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I'll secure the box for the time being.  It's really good to know what it is I need to request (with the right language) my only difficulty is how do I phone VM - I just get routed through the pressing numbers options and there's no option for loose bits of cable! .... hence turning to the VM Community - which is proving worth its weight in gold - Thank you!

Perhaps it's just a matter of waiting out this strange time til the phone centres are fully opened again .... just not sure how I'd access them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@HP1234 wrote:

Thank you.  I'll secure the box for the time being.  It's really good to know what it is I need to request (with the right language) my only difficulty is how do I phone VM - I just get routed through the pressing numbers options and there's no option for loose bits of cable! .... hence turning to the VM Community - which is proving worth its weight in gold - Thank you!

Perhaps it's just a matter of waiting out this strange time til the phone centres are fully opened again .... just not sure how I'd access them.

you should not need to ring - look for the PM from the VM staff member as said above - from there things should move forward

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fabulous!  .... and thank you SO SO much for your help - much appreciated and reversed my grumpiness completely!! 🙂

0 Kudos