Menu
Yonderboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dodgy callers claiming to be from virgin!

I just had a call from this number [MOD EDIT: REMOVED] 'claiming to be from Virgin Broadband.  It sounded like it was from an Indian call centre, which from my experience doesnt rule out virgin.

Im pretty sure it was a hoax call though, they were basically saying that they'd detected suspicious activity coming from my router that may cause me issues (from what i understood).  I started to question his call, at which point he said if i didnt comply with his instructions they'd cut off my internet!

I just wanted to flag this to other people .

The one thing im curious about is how he knew i was with Virgin media?  Do virgin have phone numbers listed that are identifiable perhaps?

thanks

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dodgy callers claiming to be from virgin!

We've had dozens and dozens of posts on this Forum about this. Scam every time. VM would never phone you like this. The numbers are spoofed and often belong to real subscribers. VM calls would come from 0345 454 1111 but since caller ID can't be trusted because of the ease of spoofing it doesn't really matter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Yonderboy wrote:

<snip>

The one thing im curious about is how he knew i was with Virgin media?  Do virgin have phone numbers listed that are identifiable perhaps?

<snip>

OFCOM published lists of which companies own which numbers so the scammers can make a reasonable guess at that as part of their script (unless the number has been ported from its original provider/owner).

Yonderboy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

yeah thought so. Thanks.  Its the first ever 'real human' call ive got. The audacity of these people! 

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But you outwitted them!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Yonderboy wrote:

yeah thought so. Thanks.  Its the first ever 'real human' call ive got. The audacity of these people! 

Best hang up on them immediately without speaking to them if you do find yourself connected to a real, live scammer. Even better still, avoid answering unknown caller IDs. Screen them afterwards from the calls list or let them go to answering machine.

Picking up the call yourself, and speaking to them, just confirms your line is working and someone at the end of it is answering. Hence you will, most likely, just get more scammer calls.

They are persistent and without any mercy or conscience!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh poor bloke @Yonderboy ! It's the first real call he gets and its a scammer. And, of course, he is right,  VM do use call centres in India so that can seem to add authenticity to the scam for some people. But I would never dissent from @goslow 's advice. If you don't recognise the number don't engage.

0 Kudos