cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Virgin have a sustainability pledge?!

AC0126
Tuning in

Just had a new hub delivered (didn’t realise we needed one) and am now left with the old hub and no way of recycling? Any Virgin staff know how to solve this???? I can’t find anything on your website advising on how to recycle it! 

13 REPLIES 13

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AC0126 wrote:

Just had a new hub delivered (didn’t realise we needed one) and am now left with the old hub and no way of recycling? Any Virgin staff know how to solve this???? I can’t find anything on your website advising on how to recycle it! 

The details for recycling are set out on the following link, although there is an issue at the moment regarding what items VM want returning.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/return-or-recycle-equipment

All local authorities should have specific arrangements for recycling such equipment and VM ask you to use those services.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@AC0126 wrote:

Check whatever scheme(s) your local authority offers. In addition to the recycling centres, some LA's allows residents to put out small electrical items separately along with other recyclable items.

VM's doesn't want back hubs older than the hub 3 or TV boxes older than the V6.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub3's go to recycle now too....

See message 5 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/No-Good-place-for-this-Upgrade-to-Hub-4-f...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Perhaps VM's sustainability pledge is "we pledge that we will have sustained, inflation busting price rises every year claiming this is needed for improvements in our service even if you are quite happy with the service you currently get; Moreover, we will sustain our mendacious practice of claiming much lower price rises than we actually apply to the majority of customers who are on discounted deals".

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM should NOT be telling customers to recycle equipment.  They have a legal requirement to take it back for recycling themselves

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/regulations-waste-electrical-and-electronic-equipment

Distributor obligations

All distributors must:

• offer free take back on WEEE
  • accept WEEE for free from customers supplied with like-for-like products, regardless of whether this is done in store, online or by mail order
  • retain a record of all WEEE taken back for at least four years
  • provide customers access to written information on the service provided and what they should do with their WEEE
- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@jpeg1 wrote:

VM should NOT be telling customers to recycle equipment.  They have a legal requirement to take it back for recycling themselves

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/regulations-waste-electrical-and-electronic-equipment

Distributor obligations

All distributors must:

• offer free take back on WEEE
  • accept WEEE for free from customers supplied with like-for-like products, regardless of whether this is done in store, online or by mail order
  • retain a record of all WEEE taken back for at least four years
  • provide customers access to written information on the service provided and what they should do with their WEEE

They do, if you push them...You can ask online or phone for a returns kit.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The legislation requires them to offer, not to reluctantly accept.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You are quite correct jpeg1, as explained here.  If you think VM are in breach of their duties under WEEE, you should consider contacting OPSS who are the enforcers for WEEE legislation (amongst many other things).  There's an OPSS contact email if you scroll right down their web page.

I'd do it, but it'll look suspiciously like I'm making work for my own colleagues.........