cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusted with Virgin Media

Kell_W
Tuning in

As most of you will know Virgin Media have increased their prices. My package was increasing by £9 a month from May 2023. The letter I received states I can change or cancel my package with no cancellation fee so with this in mind I called Virgin Media today to downgrade my package to broadband only. 
What a frustrating phone call this was! My current package now for broadband tv & phone (I do not use the phone or tv) was £52 a month. Virgin offered me broadband only for £50! I found Online new customers can get the same speed broadband I have for £15 a month for the first 6 months then £33 thereafter! So how on earth they will charge me £50! I am absolutely disgusted! I had no option but to completely cancel all of my contract and I will be going with another service provider all together. I have been a customer for the past 8 years, Shame on you Virgin Media. 

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Legend

VM Operate a yearly price ratchet.

The price will go up and up and up until you cancel.

I understand companies increasing their prices, they are entitled to do so, however I do not understand why as an existing customer they are willing to charge me more than what a product is worth!? The broadband speed I have is offered online at £15 a month for the first 6 months then £33 thereafter, so why are they wanting to charge me £50 a month for a product that should be £33 a month??? I was not asking for the new customer £15 a month deal just the £33 a month I would’ve been happy to pay. It names no sense to me. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Kell_W wrote:

I understand companies increasing their prices, they are entitled to do so, however I do not understand why as an existing customer they are willing to charge me more than what a product is worth!? The broadband speed I have is offered online at £15 a month for the first 6 months then £33 thereafter, so why are they wanting to charge me £50 a month for a product that should be £33 a month??? I was not asking for the new customer £15 a month deal just the £33 a month I would’ve been happy to pay. It names no sense to me. 

Well, now that you have cancelled, there is a good chance you will get a phone call from VM in your last 30 days with a much improved offer. It is regularly suggested on here though that you need to have marketing options turned on in 'My Virgin Media' for that to happen (and there is no guarantee at all that it will happen).

This is how VM operates, effectively haggling a deal with each individual customer to extract as much money as possible from each customer.

You have done the right thing by cancelling. Either you will get a better offer from VM during the cancellation period (if you are minded to entertain that) or you will get new customer pricing with a different supplier.