cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting past comments on community forum

infidel
Dialled in

I would like to delete all  my past comments on VM community forums as they are now irrelevant to me or anybody else. There seems no way to do this. Why?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Because you are basically asking to change history! You, presumably DID post comments and although you may well regret some of them, they may potentially be of assistance to others! It isn’t up to you to decide if others may well want to see them or find them useful or informative.

Now you can certainly delete your account on here, in which case past posts will appear as from ‘Anonymous’ and can’t be associated with you, but that’s it. I think it is a very slippery slope if the ability to ‘pretend’ that something you said in the past, never actually happened, is allowed. Maybe in your case, it’s not a big deal, but in general….

And what happens if a post of yours was quoted by another poster? Should their post with the quote be deleted? So should you be able to demand that other poster’s messages be deleted as well?

All becomes quite complex and harder than it seems, the more you look at it, no?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_JK

Hi @infidel,

I'll drop you a private message about this shortly.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Because you are basically asking to change history! You, presumably DID post comments and although you may well regret some of them, they may potentially be of assistance to others! It isn’t up to you to decide if others may well want to see them or find them useful or informative.

Now you can certainly delete your account on here, in which case past posts will appear as from ‘Anonymous’ and can’t be associated with you, but that’s it. I think it is a very slippery slope if the ability to ‘pretend’ that something you said in the past, never actually happened, is allowed. Maybe in your case, it’s not a big deal, but in general….

And what happens if a post of yours was quoted by another poster? Should their post with the quote be deleted? So should you be able to demand that other poster’s messages be deleted as well?

All becomes quite complex and harder than it seems, the more you look at it, no?

infidel
Dialled in

My reason for wanting to delete all my past comments are they are not any relevance to me or anybody. Plus I don't like leaving vast trails of all my mutterings all over the internet for years.You can delete comments on Facebook U tube and about everywhere else on your PC. I can imagine anybody wishing to troll through my comments would have only one reason. That is to gather information on me and frankly I never make any comments or remarks I would not stand by publicly so it would be pretty useless to them. I just want to clean up my  own VM community page.