Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Customer service is shocking

• Virgin hiked my bill up by £22.50 and I decided to cancel my contract. That’s where the fun began!
  • i have tried message conversation, live chat bot, Help, Q&A, internet, calling 150 waiting for 20mins being transferred and the being cut off several times. The final time I even asked the operator what the address was to cancel in writing and he cut me off.
  • i feel sorry for the Indian call centre as they have no jurisdiction to help customers.
  • i thought Richard Branson was a considerate, innovative, forward thinking chap until I have used his services.
  • no loyalty for customers, quick buck and put up the blockades to cancelling 

I’ll be sending a letter to the Swansea address and cancelling my direct debit and they can chase me for money!

ill be using alternative provider going forward

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Customer service is shocking

Best option is to try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 8am until 10pm but calling early between 08.00-11.00 is best, when you will usually get a UK call centre who’s staff are more informed and helpful.

If no joy that route then writing in to cancel is your best option - not sure of the address but its on the website. You have to give 30 days notice and pay any early exit fees if you are still in contract.

If you do owe any monies and have cancelled your DD they will "chase you for the money!" - or rather their appointed debt collection agency will, and they will also "blackmark" your credit reference record.

EDIT - forgot to add its nowt to do with poor old Sir Richard - he long ago sold VM to the U.S. behemoth Liberty Global who just pay a fee to use the name

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Don't bother with the Swansea address, that office no longer exists.

The contact us link at the bottom of each page shows this postal address: 

Write to us

Send your complaint to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@jkl32 wrote:

I’ll be sending a letter to the Swansea address and cancelling my direct debit and they can chase me for money!

Virgin Media Terms and Conditions: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

N. Other ways to end this agreement

1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice.  You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:

1. dialling 0345 234 0751 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts.  Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or

2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

jbrennand: "If you do owe any monies and have cancelled your DD they will "chase you for the money!" - or rather their appointed debt collection agency will, and they will also "blackmark" your credit reference record."

This is really, really important.  Because the contract involves a months notice, if you cancel a direct debit at the same time as sending a cancellation letter (or even phone call) then from VM's perspective you still owe them a month's fee (not to mention that they may want their equipment back, depending on model and age).  VM are also allowed to add late payment fees, and if it goes to an external debt collection agency (DCA), they'll add their own fees as well.  It is common to use multiple DCAs, on the basis that if one fails, trying with another couple might get a result.

The whole process of debt collection is monolithic, unsympathetic, and relentless.  The debt collectors don't care how unfair VM might have been, or whether VM made it unreasonably difficult to end your contract, all they care about is the question "was there a contract in place that can be enforced, and is there an unpaid debt that may be recoverable?".  Even for people who move house and think they are untraceable, or hope that the company won't be bothered to chase a small debt, they're wrong.  In cases where VM and their DCAs have admitted defeat, the debt may be sold to a debt purchase agency, some of whom work on the basis that they buy the debt for a pittance perhaps 1-2p per £, but believe that SOONER OR LATER the debtor will crop up on the financial grid.  The computer programs of these debt purchase companies routinely scour credit registers and all publicly available or privately purchased registers, and they don't give up (something like the agents in The Matrix, except even more relentless).  And then they pounce.  Neighbours of ours once did a runner on a lot of debt when moving to Spain.  About five years later they got a knock on their Spanish door that will have come as a nasty and expensive surprise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks