Menu
Ostragobulus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Contract

I have received an email from Virgin telling me that I am out of contract and telling me that my monthly package is available to new members at £8 less than I am paying.

I have tried to contact Virgin help to find out more information so that I can decide what to do but I am unable to get in touch (except for listening to rubbish pop music - why do we have to do this?) for 30 minutes +.

One might suspect that not replying will get me to accept the status quo and go away.

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract

they are telling your introductory price has ended and you are reverting back to the standard price.
you are not a new cusomter any more so the £8 less is no longer applicable to you.

you have 3 options
1) continue your service on a rolling monthly contract at the standard price that you knew about when you signed up
2) call in and try to negotiate a new price which will extend your minimum term contract
3) cancel and get a new customer deal at another provider

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If and when you get through to discuss your package (nine months on and VM are still pleading Covid as an excuse!) it doesn't mean you'll get anything like the new customer offer.  VM only print that because it is a regulatory requirement, and if it weren't for that they'd keep quiet about it.  You may even find that new customer prices are actually lower still - when faced with rules like this, a simple trick seen in (eg) financial services is to deprecate the exact package, and then offer one to new customers that has a different name but is imperceptibly different to the existing tiered offers.  That way they don't have to 'fess up to the fact that new customer pricing can be £20+ a month cheaper.  I'm sure VM wouldn't stoop to that, of course.

There's generally no way of sorting this out without speaking to a customer service agent, and dial your expectations down as to what discount (if any to expect).  If you've played the "give me a discount or I'll leave" game before, be aware that VM appear to have drastically reduced the outbound retentions calls when a customer does issue 30 days notice, so if you're banking on cancelling and waiting for them to win you back with a big discount, that may not happen at all.

Before calling, do your research on what other ISPs can offer you in terms of speed, price and package, and check out customer ratings on sites like Trustpilot and ISPReview before committing to anything.  If you do decide to leave VM, don't cancel until the new ISP is installed and working for say a week.  You'll then be in a position to cancel the new ISP in the cooling off period if the service is not as promised, and if there's any delays in being connected you've still got VM on tap.  This does mean paying for both ISPs for a month overlap, but in my view that is a price well worth paying.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jim1951
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Today I phoned up to try and sort a new contract, due to health reasons I will have to move house within the year, considering not all post codes in my area have a cable connection, it seems unfair to enforce a contract, but they still expect me to be loyal, I’ve been with virgin for 17 years, I don’t really want to move. But now tv give broadband not only cheaper but I,m told you can have it on a month by month deal, plus it’s only 29,ish pounds per month compared to what I,m paying on here I feel a bit hard done by.

when I do eventually move I shall shop around and not show any loyalty to virgin.  Also I keep getting phone calls from them about doing a deal, a covert way of getting to talk about mobile phone contract. I don’t do anything with phone calls calling me, to many scams about targeting folks of my age group especially when THEY ask me for my password...oh well rant over

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

why is it unfair to enforce a contract that you agreed to take?
by moving to an unserviced property you are the one breaking the contract.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos