Menu
Unclestein
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Contact? What contract?

Soo, like thousands of other disappointed Virgin customers I am wondering: at which point did our broadband and landline service suddenly become part of a rolling contract with an end date?

Why am I still paying £70+ a month for broadband and land-line when I could be paying £48 a month, yet the only option I am given is to "upgrade" and pay more?

Since they banished all forms of email contact years ago it seems the only way to contact the company is by phone, which "due to Covid" has become so short-staffed that nobody answers, unless you press 4 (you are are thinking of leaving) in which they will answer within the hour. 

If there is a way to retain my email address and landline number to use with another provider I'll be off like a shot by simply cancelling my direct debit.

I would welcome any helpful comments or suggestions.

https://youtu.be/-P80Mo_NB8k

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contact? What contract?

As far as I know Virgin media have never offered fixed term contracts, other than special 10 month deals for university students.

All other contracts have a minimum term and once that finishes they become rolling 30 day contracts.

If you are outside the minimum term you can leave without penalty by following the steps set out in the Terms and Conditions.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'at which point did our broadband and landline service suddenly become part of a rolling contract with an end date?'

as long as i can remember. if this was not done then people would suddenly be left without service. not everyone would remember to 'renew'. rolling contracts are designed for continued service.

SKY and BT also use the rolling contract method.

'If there is a way to retain my email address and landline number to use with another provider'

no to the email yes to the landline.

'I'll be off like a shot by simply cancelling my direct debit.'

you can try but as others have found doing the same here or with other providers, it comes back to haunt you.
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Unclestein wrote:

I'll be off like a shot by simply cancelling my direct debit.

do that and all you'll end up with is debt and it being passed to debt collectors. good luck with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Email address cannot be kept if you leave as email addresses are not transferable too another provider it is just not possible to transfer an email address.

If you sign up to another provider you need to keep the landline active with VM and inform the new provider that you wish to port the number, once you new provider has activated the line with them then the port will be completed and you VM line / contract for phone will be terminate, but the other parts of the contract like Broadband or TV will not you will have to give 30 days notice.

Cancelling the direct debit will not cancel your contract it will just place your account in arrears and add further charges to the bill for late/missed payment and eventually affect credit score and VM will transfer the debit to the debit collectors.

There are two other ways of cancelling apart from calling -

1) Use the text message service on 07533051809 https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...
2) You can write in too Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG.

A lot of customers have found that call first thing in the morning i.e. 8am to 10am and the wait times are not as long.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos