Menu
Highlighted
afy65
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Complete Screw-up

VM was supposedly rolling out cable in the Palm Bay and Kingsgate area CT9 - what a complete mess!!! - I have spoken to so many people in the area and their road has either been missed out completely or they have been told that services are not available (even though the services installed are live) to them even though cables have been installed in the road.

The 19th Hole public house has been told that they cant have VM even though the cabinet is virtually outside the pub!!!! Incidentally my road is one of the roads that has been missed too as I found out when I tried to sign up!

Think VM needs to get their finger out! and sort this as I don't think the uptake will be very good in the area.

can i refer to this press release from VM - https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/margate-and-ramsgate-now-ultrafast...

its says: "Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband is available to homes and businesses across the following postcodes: CT7, CT8, CT9 and CT12"

this is not strictly true is it? ;(

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complete Screw-up

Hi although the cables have been installed it still takes a while to set up the head end boxes, virgin may supply broadband to a public house but not TV, pubs have to get that via Sky.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
afy65
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Micky

They were not asking for VM to be installed into the pub only the living accommodation above 🙂

Head end boxes are already live, but lots of people are saying that other people in the street have VM, but they cant due to screw ups and this does not explain why within a whole area, lots of roads have just been missed out altogether! Kingsgate CT9 is sort of a community in its own right on the outskirts of the towns with open land all around us - just pants really! Kind regards Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

they can only dig roads where they have permission to do so. it's possible council permission was not granted. or it was deemed not financially viable to do those streets for various reasons.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
afy65
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

so there is 60 houses in my street - lets say on average £60 a month each with TV - that's a sum total of £43,200 revenue a year coming in from just that road (assuming everyone signs up) - how is that not viable?

Regards

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

that's not £43,200 in profit though (and it's a big assumption to make that even 1 person would sign up).
as i said, it's a possibilty. by financially viable, i mean it could simply be cost prohibitive to dig the street due to underlying issues.

virgin have no legal obligation to provide service to anyone. any decision is done purely in business terms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

and if everyone signs up the profit is likely to be less then £10/month. So 7200 the install costs may of been in the £100,000 they would never make that money back

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
they can only dig roads where they have permission to do so. it's possible council permission was not granted. or it was deemed not financially viable to do those streets for various reasons.

As a bona fide Streetworks Accredited Utilities Company VM do not need permission to dig up roads or pavements, they have a legal right to do so under the New Roads and Streetworks Act. However, they do need to give the Local Authority statutory notice or seek a permit where the LA has applied to the Secretary of State to run a permit system. The LA can request VM to delay works if there are other works in the area, or the road can have an embargo placed on it, for example if it has recently been resurfaced,

I agree cost would have a major factor with ducting will be easier and much cheaper on some roads than others.

It is not just the cost of digging up the road, a new street cab would be needed, additional capacity needed at the Head End, also factor in support, admin, planning costs it soon mounts up. As a very rough guide an Openreach FTTC costs around £27,000 to install. So, I doubt VM will be seeing a profit for a year or two.

Taking of BT, Openreach installed cabling down my road 8 years ago, and I still cannot get BT Infinity. (The Cabs stopped around half a mile from me)

I would have thought the sensible way to do it would be to establish a skeleton network into an area and infill when the network starts to make money. By this time VM should know how much interest there is to determine if infilling is commercially viable.  If the network does not make a profit, VM haven't committed themselves to deeply financially.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As most of the cost of network expansion is in infrastructure, how would a skeleton network make money? I haven't got the figures but surely at least 30% of homes passed would need to subscribe to broadband and/or TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos