Menu
aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can the "feedback request" mechanism be fixed?

While I was dealing with a reported problem and providing requested information, I kept getting asked for feedback. This is VERY annoying because the panel suddenly pops up and stops me typing until I have dealt with it. It should popup in a small window out of the way to be clicked on when ready. It is far too intrusive -- very annoying.

Second it has a character limit but does not provide a character count, as many other systems do when they have character limits. So if user exceeds the limit and is not allowed to post, finding out how much to delete is a tedious trial and error process.

Third, while I was dealing with another topic the panel kept getting in the way and asked for feedback, so I typed in a message about annoying behaviour of the system. But when I had finished it refused to accept my feedback claiming that I had already provided feedback. In that case why did it ask for feedback and waste my time?

This is easily the worst designed feedback system I have ever encountered.

I am using firefox on linux.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can the "feedback request" mechanism be fixed?

I agree 100%. It's actually like having popup malware on your computer. There was a long topic about it here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Feedback-surveys/m-p/4691405

I think you are supposed to accept cookies, then click 'No' if you don't want to see it and it is meant to go away for 90 days. At no point have I ever been able to get rid of the wretched thing via this sort of a route.

I used to use an ad-blocker to kill it off but it seems to have come back, just recently, much more resilient than it was before and the ad-blocker doesn't seem to work any more.

One permanent 'give feedback' button or link option at the top of the page would be a much better replacement IMO or something linked to user ID so that you could permanently opt out of ever seeing them.

aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your confirmation of the problem and support. I wonder whether publicising this incompetence e.g. on twitter or facebook would help to provoke action. (I am not an expert user of such media.) I was just interrupted by the feedback request while typing this!
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will find that the annoying popup also exists on other Khoros platforms e.g. BT community forum. It's a 'feature'!

In its previous incarnation, I had been seeing it every few minutes. This time, at least, I generally get rid of it in the morning and don't see it again for the rest of the day. When I restart the next day, it's back.

Have you tried accepting the cookies (at the top of the VM forum page) and clicking 'No' the next time you see it? That is supposed to stop it for 90 days AIUI.

If you try to opt out of cookies (other than essential) by the 'Click Here' link, that takes you to a general VM cookies page. If you choose not to accept functional cookies and 'update settings' the page seems to confirm that. But if you then come back to the forum the cookies banner is still there. Repeat the process and the opt-out hasn't been recorded. So even the cookies opt out doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone browsing/using VM web pages for more than a brief amount of time will soon realise that a significant number of them either don't function at all, take you to a missing/broken page or simply take you around and around in a huge circular path back where you started from.

I am still trying to get my ad-blocker to stop them but suspect that, since I mentioned it last time, the survey popup has been beefed up to resist the ad-blocker treatment.

I imagine the issue might only really be of any interest to a very small number of regulars who post and are bothered by it. For those making a one-off visit to log a query, it will not be of any concern.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Most browsers have "add ons" that allow pop up blocking. I use one on Firefox and I have never seen a single pop up for anything 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I use the pop-up blocker (and the exception list) in firefox (currently V88.01) in linux (currently fedora32) but the VM community feedback system seems to be able to get round that. So I have to delete it at regular intervals. I once tried using the feedback pop-up to complain about the pop-ups but when I had gone through several stages of answering questions it told me my comments cannot be accepted because I have commented previously. Could be a script for a science-fiction nightmare movie.

I have now given up and just delete the feedback panel each time it pops up. That seems to waste less time than any other strategy. It makes me wonder how many other less visible parts of VM software are as incompetently designed as this, doing damage behind the scenes.

0 Kudos