Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can community accounts be deleted?

I’ve had problems creating a log in and getting the verification email to get on to community- I’ve now got three email addresses in the system? Can I speak to someone to get them removed?

i can’t log into them as it haven’t had emails to verify them, I can’t set up new community accounts with them as it says they are already in the system- I’m just going round in circles.

ive ended up using my work one just be able to post this question and I could get in trouble at work!

Any ideas please? 🙏🏻

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can community accounts be deleted?

Community accounts cannot be deleted, but they can be turned into an anonymous account by the Moderators.

But that doesn't seem to fit with the details of your question.  Have you managed to get three email addresses associated with one Community account, or managed to set up three different Community accounts?

Whatever, this is one for the Moderators rather than the Forum Team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

Community accounts cannot be deleted, but they can be turned into an anonymous account by the Moderators.

well that's not strictly true.
of course accounts can be deleted, it's just that virgin choose not to do it.

they meet the bare minimum required to comply with GDPR by anonymising any posts when requested by a user.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

any posts made on the community can help other people so its better to keep them on the forum and just anonymise them

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

again though, it's a choice made by virgin to do that, it's not a case that they "cannot" do it.

if any posts make it possible to identify a person (and not specifically account details etc), then they should be removed if a GDPR request is made - anonymising them may not comply.
and lets remember, anonymising them simply means changing the username attached to any post to "anonymous", it doesn't do anything to the actual content.

the right to privacy overrides any benefit the community may have by the posts remaining.
if someone requests an account to be deleted under a GDPR request, and it's deemed a valid request then the account and any posts attached to the account really should be deleted - failure to do so "may" be a breach of GDPR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

true but any personal data should be removed at the point of posting by the mods. So there shouldn't be any personally identifying data in the first place.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

if you sign off every post you make with your name (not via signature) then that still is technically identifiable.
so unless they go thru each post made by someone to remove anything like that then it is still identifiable, and i haven't seen any evidence to suggest they actually do that.

as i said, forums (not just virgin) are doing the very bare minimum to comply, but when people say accounts "cannot" be removed is just not true, it's a decision to not remove them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

name on its own is not gdpr identifiable. 2 people can have the same name and most people do not sign off with a full name. If they did i suspect the mods would remove it.

@ModTeam would someones fill name be something you would normally edit out?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

suggest you have a read of this - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-r....

"What identifies an individual could be as simple as a name or a number or could include other identifiers such as an IP address or a cookie identifier, or other factors."

GDPRD includes a lot or "maybes", "ifs", "possibles", so it's not as simply as some may think it is.
simply anonymising posts by changing the attached username, may not comply with GDPR in some situations.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Should be but it would need something else to make it identifiable. the name alone isn't That's why the would COULD is used.

apcyberax_0-1596891632354.png

0 Kudos