Menu
Johnny65
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Call centre fraud

After being hacked by persons pretending to be VM Indian call centre who had all my VM account numbers and all the other VM stuff relating to my acoount I got my compouter hacked and when I called them out they had via tricking me  got me to download something that was remote viewing control, so That is one reason why I don't know know what has happened to any passwords  and other VM stuff because they to get revenge maliciously deleted &/or altered my documents photo graphs and lecture notes.

Where did the info come from? Obviously frtom the Indian call centre staff selling the info. They earn about $120 a month and with knowledge comes power and the temptation to feed details to fraudsters is high. And since it is in a foreign country there is essentially nothing they can do about it.

Who says so THE WEST MIDLANDS FRUAD SQUAD police reference number R22/B7W

So when you defend a dollar a day VM Indian call centres just think how valuable is the VM details they have access to with very little come back. This is why I believe that all call centres should be in the UK where investigation and security can be better monitored and vetted. WMP say this is impossible in actuallity in INDIA....what say you?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Johnny65
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call centre fraud

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/bbc-probe-claims-talktalk-call-centre-scam-involved-hu...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51753362

When I was talking to my Bank (Halifax) about the security of my Bank details and accounts access I mhad ( as is my want) a long and interesting talk with their on lone fraud and security officer, who said your initials details must have come and often do come from call centres staff in 3rd world countries who sell details to boost their income....that is why the Halifax  has UK Based customer service departments where UK law applies and can be enforced whilst 3rd world countries are the wild west.  Comments please  from people who have been affected got a UK police fraud reference number and talked to other security people who have identified India has a hot bed of call centre fraud and insecurity

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Johnny65
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

10-month exposure to data theft

In March 2020, it became known that the Virgin Media marketing database accommodating the personal details (phone numbers, home and email addresses) of 900,000 users was left unsecured for 10 months. The company admitted that a member of their staff hadn't followed the correct security procedures, which resulted in the system's vulnerability. It is known for sure that at least one occasion of unauthorised access took place throughout these 10 months. After shutting down access, a forensic investigation was launched to gauge the extent of the damage and determine whether any data had been leaked

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

See an official forum reply on this matter, post #14, from the 14th April 2020:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Re-Reporting-spam-emails-to-Virgin/td-p/4201422/pa...

To reassure potentially impacted individuals, the database did NOT include any passwords or financial details (such as bank account numbers or credit card information). The following is all the types of information included in the database, but affected individuals may have only had certain details included (rather than all of them):

• Contact details (name, address, email address, phone number)
  • Technical and product information
  • Requests they may have made to us using forms on our website
  • Account number (but not their site ID)
  • In a very small number of cases, it included date of birth.

Any customer's that were affected would have received an email within 48 hours from the 5th March, if you didn't' receive  an email you wouldn't have been affected. 

Hope this help 

See post #15 in the same thread for information on what may have been/was actually disclosed.

Also see an earlier report from The Register on the 6th March 2020:- https://www.theregister.com/2020/03/06/virgin_more_leak_details/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Johnny65
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that but what had spam and stuff to do with call centre fraud and the comments of West Midlands Police and the problems with 3rd world call centres?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Without wishing to be inflammatory, or posit any view of my own on these matters, if you really don't wish to deal with offshore call centres, then perhaps the answer is to take your business to BT for ISP and telecoms , since all of their customer contact has now been brought back to the UK?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Johnny65 wrote:

Thanks for that but what had spam and stuff to do with call centre fraud and the comments of West Midlands Police and the problems with 3rd world call centres?

Probably not a lot.

However not all posts are initially placed in the correct/appropriate section of the forum by the OP, or have mutated from their original topic to cover a different subject. That's the nature of conversations.

I responded directly to your post #3 in this Community Natter section (10-month exposure to data theft) - which may have been better placed in the Security Matters section by the way - without considering whether your post was in the correct forum board or not.

As to the comments from West Midlands Police and 3rd world call centres, that did not come up in the post I replied to.

I will refrain from commenting on any further posts of yours as I have no wish to upset you further.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Johnny65
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that answer.

Maybe you has a fan of VM and their appalling customer services may wish to ask them why they don't talk to Andy Burnett of WMPolice about 3rd world call centres , whilst getting altruistic community minded people to free of charge  take up the burden of helping their VM customers while they make huge profits on their huge revenues and stuffing wods of dosh into their trouser pockets.

Maybe VM & altruism and doing the right thing is a foreign country.

And yet what I want what I really really want it seems has no answer,

again thanks for the reply

0 Kudos