Menu
Suzyd1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cable under front Garden has no slack to redivert

I am planning to have a new drive installed. When Virgin installed the cable to the house they ran it diagonally across the front garden burying it an inch or so under the lawn and left no slack. This means that when digging starts for the new drive to be installed it is right in the way, and will get damaged or broken. Because there is no slack we cannot divert it either. Would I be able to get an engineer out to rectify this, prior to the work commencing?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable under front Garden has no slack to redivert

you can call CS and request the work.
it'll cost a flat fee of £99 though.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would argue that, if the cable was originally installed at a depth of only 1" below ground level, the initial installation was sub-standard and should be rectified by Virgin Media at no charge.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

but there is no fault, and the cable isn't damaged.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

as there are no guidelines for cable install depth there is nothing wrong with the initial install
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon Suzyd1,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums!

The advice of a £99.00 call out charge would be correct. I'm able to book this in for you, if you wish. 

Drop a response below if you'd like to go through this process with me and we'll take this to a private messaging conversation

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There are two solutions.

1. Cut the cable and connect another length of coax cable so that rerouting is possible with a longer jointed cable. This will probably entail encasing the joint in an orange gel pack for protection. This will cost £99.

2. Pull a longer cable from the cabinet to replace the existing cable. I suspect that this will cost rather more than £99 but is a cleaner option.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It’s not up to you to choose, VM technician will do what they believe is the best for the network. Either way the cost will still be £99.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Suzyd1,

Thank you for coming back to us via our community, Have you spoke to the team to arrange for a technician to come and access this for you, as advised it would be a one off £99.00 call out charge.

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Suzyd1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I spoke to the builder yesterday, and he was surprised, at the way the cable had been laid, as it is not buried very deep and has no cable protection. 
May have to wait and see what happens when work starts. He can run a pipe under new drive to draw the existing wire through. Hopefully the wire, will not get damaged during the work.

I do think that it is very poor the way the cable was laid initially. Seems to have been a bit of a bodge job really. 

0 Kudos