Menu
Tonino
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable from street to house too tight to bury

Hello everyone.

The cable from the little box on the street to the brown box on my house is too short to be buried properly.

I am about to have the path and drive dug up and be replaced by  coloured concrete.

When my cable was installed, the engineers made a good job inside the house, and on first inspection looked good outside, but when I had someone round for a quote on the new concrete he pointed out that they had drilled a hole through the concrete plinth on my fence, put the cable through it and put it 2 inches under the lawn as far as needed to be opposite the site where the brown box would be sited. They then drilled a hole through the plinth on the lawn edging, raked out the "expansion strip" that runs across the path, and put the cable in it to a depth of between a quarter to half and inch deep, and then put cement over it. They then left around 20cm lying on the path near to the box.

When I have the path dug up and concreted, I will put a conduit pipe under the path to accomodate any cabling that needs connecting to the house in the future, but can anyone advise me what I can do with the cable now, as it is clearly not long enough to go under the new concrete.

Can I just get them to concrete over it (as it is now), or is that not allowed?

Will I have to pay to have a new length of cable fitted from the small box in the ground outside my gate to the brown box on my wall  (approximately 10 metres)?

Thank you in advance for any advice that is given.

Tonino

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable from street to house too tight to bury

Hi the one part of the question that i can answer is that you will have to pay £99 as a non fault call out. Regards Micky
Tonino
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the rapid reply Micky.

I'm not happy to pay £99.00 for a shoddy bodge job to be corrected, so I will get the concrete guys to "cement it in" just like it is now.

Any new cable that needs to be fitted in the future can be installed under the path via the conduit.

Poor workmanship really on behalf of VM.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

don't get your concrete guys to do a shoddy job fixing another shoddy job.
get them to at least put the existing cable in conduit so that if there is a fault in the future the cable can be pulled.

pouring concrete over a cable would be shoddy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Tonino
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thats my point. The cable is only between 1/2 an inch and a 1/4 of an inch below the top of the concrete path.

I can't disconnect the cable from the box and even if I was allowed to, the cable is too short to be set any deeper than it is now.

That is why I will be putting a conduit pipe under the concrete for the next installation.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tonimo, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the issue you have with your cabling. To enable me to take a look into this on your behalf, I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope int the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos