Menu
UNHAPPYCHAPPIE
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bad communications and unable to cancel!

After trying to get through for well over a month to cancel Virgin as my price doubled after my contract ended, I still cant get through to anyone? I have therefore cancelled the direct debit and switched to TalkTalk. Now manning the phone for Virgin to call me for payment. Absolutely appalling customer services!

As I understand it, 30 days notice is required to cancel but cant give them notice as I cant find a postal address to cancel or any link anywhere on Virgins website? This is borderline extortion! 

The only correspondence address Ive found so far is listed below so will be sending a letter recorded delivery, cancelling my account through the complaints address.

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practi...

I will NOT be returning, nor recommending...

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad communications and unable to cancel!

I cant find a postal address to cancel or any link anywhere on Virgins website? This is borderline extortion! 

Postal address is in section N in the Terms and Conditions on the website...

In terms of cancelling the direct debit and THEN coming here to complain, you've messed up.  If you'd asked here we could have pointed to the relevant address, and told you that you should never cancel a direct debit for a service you haven't cancelled.  Now you're at risk of getting a "defaulted credit payment" flag added to your credit history file, and any further action (like debt collection agencies, late payment surcharges etc).  I'd suggest you log in to My Virgin Media, and try and reinstate the DD.

Absolutely appalling customer services!

Ordinarily I'd agree.  At the moment it is quite exceptionally difficult to safely operate a call centre, and with reasonable precautions for their staff, this means VM have a mere fraction of normal capacity.  It isn't good for customers, but in this case you need to accept that the company are managing as best they can in the circumstances, and the cause is outside their control.  How would you feel if your employer said "stuff this social distancing nonsense, I don't care if you get Covid now just get back to work!" ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
UNHAPPYCHAPPIE
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The address listed in Virgins t&c's is its registered office address, could you confirm if this is its trading/service address for cancellations/queries and etc?

As far as contact goes, Virgin has no clear contact information on its website without delving into the small print, and even then its not clear. We all know in these times of uncertainty that businesses are struggling to man call centres and function normally etc, but it doesn't take over a month to pick up a phone. I bet they can find somebody to man the phone when there not being paid. The irony of your quote is amazing! 😁

Anyways, I've just completed my cancellation letter and will be sending via recorded delivery to both of the addresses.

Thanks for the link.👍

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The address listed in Virgins t&c's is its registered office address, could you confirm if this is its trading/service address for cancellations/queries and etc?

The address at the top of the linked page is VM's registered office.  I signposted section N because that where they want postal cancellations.  But if you send to both you're covered.

but it doesn't take over a month to pick up a phone. I bet they can find somebody to man the phone when there not being paid.

Look, I've worked for similar sized, customer service operations.  I know how these businesses are process driven, and as a result if they can't service even a small element of demand, the queue rockets through the roof.  Then, with a queue of perhaps 60,000 requests for customer service, you tell me how you'd prioritise that, when you've got maybe a quarter of your normal call handling capacity?  In normal times I;m at the front of the queue to kick VM for shoddy customer service, but at the moment even I have to accept that everything they've set up to keep costs down is meaning they're stuffed by Covid.

The irony of your quote is amazing! 

Maybe.  But I have, do, and will criticise Virgin Media when it fails (and that's often), and in the past I've even had warnings from VM staff that I'll be kicked off the forums if I don't tone it down.  In this case, I would suggest we all need to cut the company some slack, whether we;re happy to do so or not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

UNHAPPYCHAPPIE
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I do understand how hard it is for business at present as I've been in business for over 20 years.. but as a Virgin Media customer expected to give 30 days notice but not being able to cancel services due to bad communications for over a month, whilst still being charged is just wrong!

At the very least a link could be included to the website for cancellations etc, Companies such as Now tv and Netflix seem to overcome this issue quite simply. 

Since our last chat, I've posted the cancellation letters to Virgin and have now moved companies, I'm just waiting for my final invoice from VM then its good riddance! Never again!

Thanks again for the address link.👍

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No probs, and apologies if any of that seemed combative.  Good luck with your new ISP, just be aware that all large ISPs including both VM and Talktalk are too process driven and therefore have suspect customer service and high churn business models.  We only find this out when we need it, of course.

If you have problems with Talktalk, then next time consider smaller, customer-service based ISPs like AAISP, Zen Internet, uno, IDNet and Aquiss.  Might not seem so cheap, but when the chips are down, that's what you find you're really paying for.  Sadly, VM could change to compete on customer service, but that would require them to redirect half or e ven two thirds of the exorbitant marketing budget to customer service, and it's pretty clear management aren't going to do that any time soon.

UNHAPPYCHAPPIE
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

😊👍

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest - try calling it in again at 08.00 (being the best time) although people are still reporting getting through ok at other times. Obviously go to “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-4- "Thinking of leaving" when you should get through to the people who can help you - the UK center is still picking up and there are many reports on these fora of people getting through ok to cancel or get Tech visits booked.

EG - message 4 in....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Wi-fi-booster/td-p/4272038

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Larkins
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

f you’re working on a team project, and the team leader has nRe: Bad communications and unable to cancel!

If you’re working on a team project, and the team leader has not defined the roles, missed deadlines, finger pointing and blame are the result.

The solution? Train all team leaders to use the same set of metrics for assigning elements of a project, establishing clear timelines, and following up to ensure deadlines are met.

0 Kudos