Menu
paul9115
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are there any plans to improve customer service

Just a genuine question as they're pretty harshly rated by most people for having absolutely abysmol customer service and they don't seem to care, if you look at the trustpilot reviews they have a 60% 1 star rate and adding the 2 star reviews into the mix adds up to nearly 75% of ratings, 38,000 people have said the customer service is terrible, yet no improvements have been made.

I just don't understand it, if I was running a business that was getting hammered that hard for that long I'd certainly be doing something about it 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are there any plans to improve customer service

VM have ~5.5m broadband subscribers and 38,000 have said its terrible. If you were in the VM Marketing or Finance Department, how might you respond to those numbers?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
paul9115
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's 38000 of 52000 total reviews as I stated in my original post that's almost 3/4 of reviews, which if I was in the marketing department would have me pretty worried especially since the overall trustpilot score is 2.2/5 

Screenshot_20211119-214912.png

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

But people only tend to use sites such as Trust Pilot when they are unsatisfied with the service.  The other 95% (based on the figures posted in this thread) would appear to be happy enough not to bother with such complaint sites.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
paul9115
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If that were indeed true, wouldn't all business on there have very low scores?

Many businesses have over 4 stars meaning many many more positive reviews than negative, while it's true a lot of businesses ask for trustpilot reviews, VM also do this and still have overwhelmingly negative feedback. The truth of the matter is that there is a problem here and my question is whether VM care enough about their reputation to do anything about it, since it's obvious at this point they don't care about their customers

0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM focus their efforts heavily on sales, marketing and acquiring new customers. Existing customers are already paying their monthly fees and are of significantly less interest to VM as long as they keep paying. Customer service has always been generally poor and its many flaws have been brought into sharp focus in the last 18 months.

In my experience (NTL/VM customer for 20 years) the overwhelming majority of the time VM's service works well and is reliable and fast. When there is a problem, or a need to speak to VM, the experience is often an unhappy one for many.

IMO, VM has an over-reliance on automated processes to run its business and an over reliance on sub-contractors to carry out its work. If the work at hand fits neatly into one of the pre-programmed tasks on VM's automated systems then things seem to run OK. As soon as something unexpected crops up, which diverts from the pre-programmed activities, then the whole operation seems to fall apart. Often the information stored in these automated processes seems to be inaccurate or out of date (for example, customers still being told they need to speak to TalkTalk about virgin.net email queries or wholly incorrect information being given out or calculated for VM's automatic compensation scheme or the endless discussions which take place on the forums about reconnecting telephone extension sockets after 21CV phone switchovers or pointless recommendations to sign up to TPS as a method to deal with telephone scam callers).

Frontline staff seem to be unable to break into the automated processes and change or halt them when things go wrong. Communications and project management with sub-contractors seem to be non-existent for some customers (as demonstrated by the many topics on failed cable installations on the forums in recent months, with VM staff or sub-contractors turning up at a customer's house with no idea why they are there or VM tech's turning up to install equipment when no cable has been run to the property). The list could go on.

Personally, I think VM is no better/worse than many of the other mega-corporations. I could list similar customer service and installation disasters as above for BT/Openreach from domestic and work life. Some of my BT/Openreach fiascos make VM's customer service look like a beacon of excellence!

I think the reason for the negative Trustpilot scores is that when VM get it wrong, they do so in spectacular style and the scale of their incompetence is what motivates people to post negative reviews.

As I have posted on the forums before, I think things will slowly change as Openreach continues with it FTTP rollout. I have seen evidence of that in my own street with VM losing customers to Openreach FTTP providers. Until that process actually starts to affect VM's finances though, I suspect VM will just continue with business as usual.

paul9115
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head there. It seems a lot of places, especially small towns like where I am only have one choice for FTTP which means if you want halfway decent broadband you're stuck with one supplier. I for one will be ditching VM as soon as there is an alternative provider in place, which is in the pipeline in my area

0 Kudos
BusheyTrader
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the moment you talk to a person, there is the potential for things not to be actioned or go wrong.  

in my experience over the last few years, that’s been approx 75% of the time.