Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

2019 Price Rise and Promised Discounts (not moaning, just a question!)

Hello Guys,

Just a question on how agreed discounts / fixed tariff and price rises work.

I like many I'm sure have had the email informing me of the planned October price increase. What confuses me is the deal I signed up for in October last year promised the monthly charge would be fixed until March 2020, does the yearly price rise just raise the monthly charges regardless of any agreement the customer may have negotiated beforehand?

I'm guessing the rise is to the base package price and any previously agreed fixed price is in fact a discount that is then applied? I have tried to wade through "The Legal Stuff" but I'll admit I've scanned it a bit but I haven't read anything so far about this. Can anyone confirm this is how the price increases work?

Thanks for reading,

Chris.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2019 Price Rise and Promised Discounts (not moaning, just a question!)

from the terms

'We may increase our charges under this agreement at any time.We may also change these terms and conditions and the services that we have agreed to provide to you.'

if you have been told that your package price increases by say 3 quid a month from october 2019, then if you were paying overall say 100 pounds a month, it would rise to 103 pounds a month until, in your case, march 2020, unless you change your actual package in any way ie add or remove something.

sky and bt have similar terms. around 18 months ago bt increased their prices twice in one year. the fact that mr bloggs is told his monthly amount with bt etc is 99 pounds a month doesn't mean that bt can't increase his bill each and every month if they wanted to.

the contract is generally for particularly services in a particular name at a particular address.

prices can always be changed during the period of 'contract'.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Due to this price rise, customers are at liberty to cancel their contracts and move to another supplier without any financial penalty for cancelling (within the advertised time-frame).

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer with my post.
I appreciate the charges are going up and that's final but I'm intrigued why the word "Fixed" was repeatedly used by VM customer services when I signed up, "Charges Fixed" until 2020.
Yes, I understand all ISPs will raise their monthly charge every year now regardless, I'm sure no one reading this needs company by company comparisons, we all know they're a pig of the same sow and behave in a similar fashion.
I also can't be the only person who thinks the use of certain words such as "fixed" by any company representative when selling a service such as this is little misleading?
To me it inferred my monthly charges would not increase until the contract ended? (yes I know, never assume, get it clarified) Considering I'd called VM CS because I was unhappy my 2018 charges were rising, the use of the word "fixed" repeatedly by VM CS was I believe a deliberate act to reassure me into signing a new contract. On reflection it's not something they could ever really promise, is it?

A lesson learnt though, ta-ra.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@GJMAUTOS wrote:

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer with my post.
I appreciate the charges are going up and that's final but I'm intrigued why the word "Fixed" was repeatedly used by VM customer services when I signed up, "Charges Fixed" until 2020.
Yes, I understand all ISPs will raise their monthly charge every year now regardless, I'm sure no one reading this needs company by company comparisons, we all know they're a pig of the same sow and behave in a similar fashion.
I also can't be the only person who thinks the use of certain words such as "fixed" by any company representative when selling a service such as this is little misleading?
To me it inferred my monthly charges would not increase until the contract ended? (yes I know, never assume, get it clarified) Considering I'd called VM CS because I was unhappy my 2018 charges were rising, the use of the word "fixed" repeatedly by VM CS was I believe a deliberate act to reassure me into signing a new contract. On reflection it's not something they could ever really promise, is it?

A lesson learnt though, ta-ra.

To the best of my knowledge they have never used the term "fixed" in regards to residential pricing, do you have a link to somewhere where their advertising states the price is fixed? because the only place i imagine it would be is in regards to the discount that it applied to whatever the normal fee is which lasts for a fixed term

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Shane, you're absolutely right, they don't mention anything about fixing a price anywhere on any of the emails or the copy of the contract. My argument is academic as this is just me recounting the phone conversation I had with VM CS, sadly I can't back it up with any hard evidence. I was really just interested to see if anyone had a similar experience when dealing with CS at price rise time.

Best to put this one to bed now.

Thanks for your interest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Totally disagree with this, I have my offer in writing from virgin which states “price is £xxxx for 18months but you are only contracted for 12months”.

To me that sounds very much like a Fixed Deal with no price movements. When the initial letter from Virgin appeared I did contact them with this question & they assured me that it didn’t apply to me, however my latest bill has arrived & sure enough they are trying to to charge me....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

but you did read the full Ts&Cs of the contract you were signing?
where is says that the price may change etc etc.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes I did, and as it turns out I’m right!

Finally got through to VM CS today & with very little hassle removed the extra charge from my upcoming bill & for subsequent bills to the end of my 18 month contract.

Seems it pays to challenge them, maybe that’s what they’re banking on us NOT doing....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@dellboy67 wrote:

maybe that’s what they’re banking on us NOT doing....

who would have thought!!

0 Kudos