Menu
TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

2 Connections 1 property

Greetings All,

Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening (Whichever applies) I was wondering if someone could shed some light/give an answer to the following scenario?

I have just moved into a new shared property. One existing housemate already has a connection and I am accessing her WiFi. However i prefer to connect my devices via Ethernet which isn't possible here. Can 2 separate accounts be made on the same address? So she will have her own connection which she pays for and I can have mine.

Thanks

Tommy 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 Connections 1 property

It is possible but you will need to discuss it with VM on the phone not here.

It would be an expensive solution - so why can you not use ethernet? Altering her/your equipment/layout to allow both ethernet & wifi connections on one account will certainly be cheaper.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We're on different floors of the house and it's the distance.  Landlords doesn't want any additional cables going through the lobby areas.

I would have settled for the WiFi for the aforementioned cheaper solution but the WiFi signal in my room is very weak

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

well a second virgin connection is going to result in additional cabling.
ethernet is going to be easier run than a new virgin connetion.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tommy

I will PM you for more details

Thanks

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Another option is to try powerline adapters.

My lad is an avid internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan. Ethernet runs are problematic to his room so he has a pair of Solwise ac1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our 200Mbps package - he hasn't complained once in years! You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well.

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits they need to pass through the same consumer unit/fuse box - do yours?

See...
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

I will look into the power line adapters

Thanks mate

0 Kudos
TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I got my connection installed a few days ago