Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Smart TV, Roku, 4oD, ITV player and 5 on demand

James_W
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi

We're aware that a very small number of customers may be experiencing issues when streaming 4oD, ITV Player and 5 on demand on a Samsung smart TV or Roku box.

If you believe you are having this problem then please can you reply with the following information, and we'll be in touch.

1. What sites it affects - please check if you have the same problem on BBC iPlayer, YouTube or Netflix (for example)?

2. Please describe the error as best as possible

3.a: What model of Samsung Smart TV do you have?

OR 3.b: What model of Roku device do you have?

We'll reply within 72 hours.

Best wishes,

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

30 REPLIES 30

Naughton90
Joining in

I have the same problem with my Samsung Smart TV and Channel 4 - as previously posted to this list.

I called Virginmedia technical support and they said they wouldn't replace the Superhub because there was nothing wrong with my broadband service.  When I said I wanted to complain they gave me a postal address!  This is a known fault with your equipment - why won't you fix it?

Regards

Naughton90

aliopps
Joining in

I am having this problem exactly.

1. It is fine on iPlayer (have not tried yet with 5 on demand) occasional buffering problems also accur in iPlayer - but these have always managed to reload the programme and continue again eventually.

2. The problem only arises after advert breaks. No problem loading the adverts, but as soon as the adverts are finished the programme does not come back and the system shows a message saying content not available.

Sometimes load times between adverts feels a little bit slow - blank screen is shown for longer than I would expect on TV ad breaks, but not significantly.

The main problem is certainly when returning to the programme after ad breaks, if happens after every ad break, which means watching a 1 hour programme I have to restart the whole thing four times!

3. I have a Samsung UE32H5500 TV newly purchased, just this side of Christmas.

MMully
Joining in

Hi

We have both Samsung Ue46f6740 and Ue32f5500 smart tv's. When watching 4od through the app (wireless), the program locks up every time after adverts, its ok on the Iplayer and ITV player. The only way to get past the adverts is to switch the tv off and start from scratch fast forwarding to the point it initially locked up at. This is very annoying and you have to watch a ridiculous amount of adverts to watch a program. Please note we have a super hub.

Can you please advise.

Thanks

Willhalls
Joining in
Hi I have a Samsung UE48H6670.

4od freezes every time we use it on the smart to app when it comes to adverts. As soon as the break is up it buffers then says 'This program is unavaliable'. Happens every time.

I have the latest update on the to and a Virgin superhub probably a superhub1.

Would a superhub 2 sort this issue out?

Thanks
Will

jorvik1
Joining in

Hi,

I have a Samsung smart TV and have problems with 4OD. I have contacted 4OD and they have told me that there is a problem with the Virgin Media router.

The issue I have is that when watching catch up on 4OD at the end of ad breaks the programme starts to buffer and then fails to restart. I then have to quit 4OD and restart and play all the start up ads again fast forward and re-watch the ad break again with no guarantee that the programme will restart. It can take two hours to watch a 45 minute programme, with about 60 \5 being taken up by ad breaks.

Samsung TV is a UE55F6670SBXXU and is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Please help me as it is driving me and my family round the bend.

Regards

gerrygg
Joining in

Recently purchased a Samsung UE55H7000 Smart TV, when streaming from Netflix now get micro second freezing on motion pictures. Never had the problem with the previous Samsung "dumb" LED TV

MMully
Joining in

Hi

I have already messsaged you about the 4od issue on the samsung smart tv through the forum recently, but with no reply. I have emailed 4od and they say its a virginmedia router issue but when I speak to virginmedia customer services they refuse to admit they have a problem with their router. Where do I go from here.

A reply would be nice

Martin

Where am I meant to have received a reply?

I don't think I have anywhere since posting on this forum.

Also I did the maths, I was watching the 100 on 4od and due to the programming failing each time the ad break finished I had to sit through 24 EXTRA ADS during my programme - just because of buffering issues, these are EXTRA ads on top of the original 20 that I was meant to see. this is due to having three ad breaks throughout the programme and have to watch 6 ads in each ad break a additional time, after the system crashed, and on top of that there where two ads at the beginning of the programme that I could skip through - even though I have already watched them the first time through (and the second and the third).

This count also doesn't include the ADDITIONAL 4OD stings that were also shown at the end of the ad break, effectively and additional 6 adverts!!! Making my total of ADDITIONAL adverts I had to sit through 30!!
Being generous, if we call each ad only 30 seconds, (and I'm sure some are longer than that) that's an additional 15 minutes of advert time in a 40 minute programme. Added to the original advert time included in the programme, the adverts are nearly as long as the programme its self.

Please can you rectify this as soon as possible Virgin? Do you need to send me a new modem?!

Alice

a_benfield
Joining in

Hello,

I have a Samsung UE32D5520, 4OD crashes the TV after running through ads preceding the show. Amazon, iPlayer all work fine.

Thanks,

Andrew

I too have this issue with 4OD and ITV player where the app stops working immediately after an ad break.  No problems with iPlayer (probably as there are no ad breaks).

I have a Samsung UE40ES5500.