Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
trickedem

Re: VM - can we have some public answers please?

liamcrayden wrote:

When I first wrote this post I knew it would stir things up, but never expected this amount of responses.

Forum staff have indirectly acknowledged this post (and have linked it to in private messages, so they know it exists), but they will never be able to reply to it. Only those higher up in the rankings at VM have the authority to comment, and IF they were to do that then their statement(s) would be headline news - something which could effectively kill off the entire brand.

Thanks Liam, you have confirmed what most of us suspected.  

I just took a look at the profile of Alex Brown, Head of Broadband Product Experience, Virgin Media http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/107

He clearly knows what is going on, particularly as he was looking at this forum at 20.46 this evening. 

I have now ordered a wifi router from Amazon and will be contacting Virgin to get a further discount on my subscription to cover the cost. I would suggest more people do the same.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
DJT298

This is an incredibly well put together thread, thank you to the OP and the other contributers. After finally realising myself that to get a tolerable internet experience with Virgin I have to use the Superhub in modem mode with a seperate router, I have today ordered one from ebuyer. I would like to thank Seph for his assistance in this forum in helping me decide on a suitable router.

I understand that Virgin have an extremely large number of customers and that many of those possibly either don't experience issues or are too inexperienced to appreciate the poor performance they are achieving but from my own experience, I have had several engineer visits and replacement cables from the cabinet to my house and internally. I know of others who after multiple engineer visits gave up on Virgin and returned to other ISP's. Not only is there the cost factor for Virgin to consider in carrying out this often pointless and unproductive action but also the poor publicity these ex cutomers can provide, indeed my wife was very opposed to our joining Virgin because of negative feedback she had received (you can imagine the earache I have since received for not taking any notice of her protestations when I went ahead and joined anyway lol).

As Virgin retain ownership of the equipment and rent them out as part of their service surely it would benefit the comapny to discontinue all support for the Superhub and instead focus on a good quality replacement. Initially they can be offered to new customers and those who have registered an issue with their existing equipment. Eventually they could be provided to everyone as part of the network upgrades.

That brings up another point. It seems that Virgin Media are intent on producing headline grabbing maximum speeds to the detriment of quality of service. Often I can carry out a speedtest showing download speeds of 100mb but take approx two minutes just to open a webpage due to the quality of service and over-utilisation of the exchange, whilst online gaming and video streaming are impossible. They already have the fastest speeds in the country, surely it would make sense to now concentrate on making the quality of service the best it can be instead of trying to increase speeds still further when the current network is bursting at the seams?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
chickenhead

Interesting comments.... Brand is all important when you carry the name virgin and your competitors are huge brands such as bt and sky, but they aren't without their own problems and arrogance when it comes to customers. For me.... And it may just be a perception thing in my behalf.... But virgin always stood for honesty. I don't mind that they have rolled out faulty kit as much as I mind not just admitting it acknowledging it and telling me how to sort it or that I need wait a month for it to be fixed. I can wait for that.... Of the customers experiencing the problem I'd guess 80% won't even realise it, 18% will just accept it like they accept that all technology has its gremlins which sort themselves out and 2% will either leave without knowing the problem or come here to try sort it.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

chickenhead wrote:
Interesting comments.... Brand is all important when you carry the name virgin and your competitors are huge brands such as bt and sky, but they aren't without their own problems and arrogance when it comes to customers. For me.... And it may just be a perception thing in my behalf.... But virgin always stood for honesty. I don't mind that they have rolled out faulty kit as much as I mind not just admitting it acknowledging it and telling me how to sort it or that I need wait a month for it to be fixed. I can wait for that.... Of the customers experiencing the problem I'd guess 80% won't even realise it, 18% will just accept it like they accept that all technology has its gremlins which sort themselves out and 2% will either leave without knowing the problem or come here to try sort it.

A very strong point has been made by Chickenhead.  The humble customer has asked the mighty VM to provide answers in public.  Zilch. Silence.  Virgin & honesty are not connected words at the moment - never mind the ridiculous claims made for the SH in its current advertising.

Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
dazzabird

Looking for a decent router to use in conjunction with my superhub..

Can anyone recommend. Decent one

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Marion793

[ Edited ]

There are lots of posts on here about recommending a new router but I have seen the ASUS RT-N56U mentioned a few times so that could be a good place to start.

Edit - I found a post which recommends and offers help for setting up the Asus:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Can-anyone-recommend-a-good-dual-band-router...

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

Echo Marion793. I've got one as it happens.
Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
zeenery

My own experience appears to be similar to many. I have a super hub with my VIP package. Our bandwith is fine and TV service is great but I too gave up on the wireless and instead use a wired connection through to my old BT hub which works fine. I would like to use the 5.0ghz wireless service but it is way too flakey. While they are fixing this why not make it easier to connect xboxes without NAT problems. It is not like they are rare.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
chickenhead

mines not just the wireless problem.... i get drop out quite often on my wired connection. particularly when downloading or updating itunes files, even when in modem mode.
ive just received an email though today saying that virgin have made some improvements to my superhub! anyone else received this and has it made a difference.... i havent seen change
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Superhet

I've requested the beta firmware, as my wireless throughput is not great. Speedtests seem okay, but I get pretty poor performance on youtube across WiFi (cabled is fine).

Download speeds seem pretty good though, I get around 70Mbps at full tilt on WiFi. I suspect there's some TCP issues out in the VM network, affecting certain traffic types.

I have a spare Netgear WNR2000 router which I considered using for WiFi, and putting the SH in modem mode. However the WNR2000 doesn't have GigaBit LAN ports, only 100Mb.

Also, the configuration features on the SH are **bleep**, the DHCP reservation option doesn't work, firewall config is not clear and comprehensive, and the login page sometimes stalls while loading.

Does the beta firmware address any of these problems?

Please use plain text.