Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
robinsmithbris
Helpful Answer

Superhub problems

I would steer clear of the new Superhub - they are hopeless! I have been with Virgin Media/Telewest cable for 12 years and never previously had problems. The new Superhub is a modem and wireless router rolled in to one device. I connect fine via a wired ethernet cable to my desktop and so the modem is working fine. It is the wireless router within the Superhub which is poor. The router doesn't broadcast a signal as strong as my previous router. This is slightly annoying but not the end of the world. I now use an additional signal booster device in the middle of my house and this just about compensates. The major problem is that the wifi quality (not quite sure how to describe it as i'm not a techy) is very poor. We are a family of 4 with a combination of wifi devices (ipad, ipod touch, blackberry, laptop). The signal just drops from time to time, and despite rebooting the superhub might not be back for an hour or two. Also it often drops the connection and asks for the password again....and even if you put the correct password in it doesn't accept it! You can try ringing the helpdesk but be prepared to wait an hour or sometimes you wait 30 mins and then you just get cut off. Unfortunately I was told by Virgin that I can't go back to my old modem as it doesn't support the new higher speeds. I now dream of my old reliable 20 Mb connection!
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
ceptic

Re: Superhub problems

dont jump to conclusions first off hate it how people like yourself critise the superhub before actualy trying to resolve the issue.

this fixes the issue 9/10 times

open a webbrowser

in the address bar at the top where it says http://www.

clear the bar so its blank

and type 192.168.0.1

username:admin

password:changeme

click advanced settings

then wireless settings

change encryption to wpa2-psk(aes)

change channel to anything apart from 1/6/11(try multiple channels if still slow)

and last but not least

change mode to 145.

click apply

that should solve your issue.
if i help, please give kudos
it takes 2 second to click the star on the right
I work for Virgin - but all opinions posted here are my own

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
BevP

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
jabbert87

This is something I definitely think i need to do for my new superhub due to the slow speeds on both the laptops in my house. I have attempted to put in the ip address into the address bar but i dont get any options to change anything. I tried this on both my laptops and now trying on the computer with a wired connection to the superhub but no joy. Any ideas on why this will be??? help help help!!!!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
merlin6699

Many Thanks ceptic

Only too happy to push a star for you.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
lescombes

well from what I see and read on here the Superhub is a huge load of **bleep** and all this stuff is stopping me installing the one they sent me and cancelling the latest "deal"..... 2 days left to cancel.... 

To me....what is the point of a "Superhub"....if the wireless is useless....I have a decent 3rd party router which I can still access 2 streets away... wellied up to push the signal....never drops out,reliable and superb....

NOW>...why would I have a "Superhub" when the modem is the only good thing about the device....???? why not a high speed modem on it's own?

Pray.....tell me what you think....

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
kirkiewhopper

ceptic, you have just saved me from a bank holiday weekend of earbashing from my 8 year old as he could'nt connect his x box. I followed all your steps and it is working great again. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
lescombes

Well I did install this superhub thing.......  although it is far from super....after talking to techie on activation I opted to use with my router which I know, flashed the firmware on and can be reached 200 meters away from it's location in the house....in essence the hub is useless as a Wifi router but fine as a modem.....  getting 60mb ethernet and 52mb on wireless in the house and the end of the garden I get 42mb wireless...... so happy days ....why is the hub so **bleep** big?.... 

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
ceptic

no problem, im glad to have helped you all :smileyhappy:

if i help, please give kudos
it takes 2 second to click the star on the right
I work for Virgin - but all opinions posted here are my own

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
silky1873

thank you so much,    i was getting no where  with this  hub until  i tried this  and now from yesterday getting less than 1 meg wireless i am now on  an average of 45 meg

i am now  able to watch youtube videos, upload forum pages with hundreds of photos etc and no issues

i hope it lasts  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.