Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Bright Spark
rockette

How do I set up my Superhub in modem mode?

[ Edited ]

Here's the thing. Until recently we had a 10mb Virgin bb link via a cable modem.  This was connected to our Netgear router (WNDR3700v2) -  which supports wired and wireless mode. We had our 3 desktop pcs plugged into tnto this and have been running a peer -peer home network , filing sharing across all three machines. The Netgear router also supported our three (wifi) laptops. It worked fine

We have three pcs running Win 7 (Pro) , Vista and XP Pro. The home network admin is for historical reasons  on the Vista pc. This all worked fine. Laptops run Vista and Windows 7.

Earlier this month, we decided to upgrade to a faster bb  connection (30 now 60mbs). Virgin came round and installed a Superhub. I then plugged our existing netgear  router into it, substituting it for the cable modem connection in our set up. Did not work. Nada. The Virgin engineer said he did not know anything about home networks.

To get up and running, temporarily we have plugged our pcs into the ethernet ports on the Superhub which gives us internet access,  but we have lost our peer to peer home network. We need this for our home office . Searching around the internet  the solution seems to be to set up the Superhub in modem mode and then plug the router into it. No one actually says how you do this and there is no user guide supplied with the Superhub.

Shame no one tells the Virgin installation engineers this either.

If you look up home networking on the Virgin faqs, Virgin's definition of a home network appears to be different to mine: theirs seems to mean you can plug several pcs into a shared router, mine is that it can support peer to peer networking for a home office.

SOOO - how do I configure the superhub into modem mode? I need step by step instructions I am afraid. Is there any particular sequence I should do this in? Will my existing router Netgear WNDR 3700v2 support this method of working - it has been working fine up to now?. Will I need to reconfigure home network or will it work again, once old router is back in line?

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
dozer167

Re: How do I set up my Superhub in modem mode?

[ Edited ]

rockette,

Here is the info you need.

How do I set up Modem Mode on my Super Hub?

Enabling modem mode allows you to connect your own wireless router to the Super Hub, effectively turning the Super Hub into a stand alone DOCSIS3 cable modem.

To enable modem mode on your Super Hub

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Super Hub.

2. Open your Internet browser.

3. Log in to your Super Hub's administration interface by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar (not the search bar) of your Internet browser. If you have changed the IP address of your Super Hub, you will need to enter its new address into the address bar instead.

4. Enter your Super Hub's administration username and password. The default details are printed on the back of their Super Hub. If you have changed the default username or password, enter those details instead.

5. Once you've logged in, click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the screen to access the Super Hub's Advanced Settings page.

6. Click Modem Mode on the left-hand menu. If you don't see the Modem Mode option, reboot your Super Hub by disconnecting and reconnecting its power supply, and the new firmware will be downloaded.

7. Click the Enable Modem Mode tick-box.

On the right of this page there are details explaining to how to connect your router to the Super Hub.

9. Click the Apply button. You'll see a confirmation box asking if you want to continue.

10. Click OK.

The Super Hub will reboot into Modem Mode. Once in Modem Mode, the options on the main administration interface are restricted and greyed out, including wireless options.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Super Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1
How can I tell if the Super Hub is in modem mode without logging in to the administration interface?The P2S Button on the front of the Super Hub (the light on the front with the Virgin Media Logo) will be Purple instead of the usual Blue colour.

How do I get the Super Hub back in to Hub mode after its been in Modem Mode?

To find out how to get your Super Hub back into Hub mode, click here.

Regards dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
rockette

<If you have changed the IP address of your Super Hub, you will need to enter its new address into the address bar instead.>

I haven't changed it, the superhub was just been connected in place of the old cable modem. 

Is there some way I can check its address? Apologies for not being very technical.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

[ Edited ]

You can use the modem IP address to gain access to the SH regardless of which mode it is in,so just try 192.168.100.1

However the default IP for the router portion is usually 192.168.0.1

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Jason_G

[ Edited ]

Hi rockette,

As stated by ravenstar68 above, the IP address will usually be 192.168.100.1 for the modem or you can use 192.168.0.1 in router mode.

If you feel like being a bit technical; when in router mode, the hub is your Default Gateway and thus opening the command prompt (All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and running the command ipconfig will confirm the hub's IP in this case.

You shouldn't need to do this though as the IP addresses above should work in your case.

Kind Regards,

Jason G.
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
rukshana-huda

I Know this is a very old thread but once the superhub is in modem mode and connected to another wirless router via earthnet do i need to configure the settings on the wireless router to work with the superhub in modem mode?

if so what do i need to change?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

rukshana-huda wrote:

do i need to configure the settings on the wireless router to work with the superhub in modem mode?

Nope, it should just work.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Crafty
reformedgeek

I set this up last week and have now noticed that on 3 separate days (in the morning) I have to release and renew the WAN Ip address on my Cisco e2000 router to connect to the internet.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Iaincsb

Hi

I've just received my Super Hub Model 480.
I want to use it in modem mode and thought I would set this up prior to installation.
I connected my laptop directly via ethernet and can log on no problem.
My issue is that I cannot see the modem mode settings at all.The SuperHub Settings Tab just brings up Remote connection option and it is not in Advanced settings either.

I wanted to do this before connecting.
Do I actually need to have it connected to the Virgin Cable network before I see the option ?

Thanks
Iain

Please use plain text.
Crafty
reformedgeek

First Time Last Time Priority Error Number Description
31/06/2012 08:46:46 31/06/2012 08:46:46 Warning (5) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Please use plain text.