Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Making Waves
proudscot2k

Connecting to VPN using DIR-615

Hi i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of sorting my DIR-615 so i can connect to a VPN. Basically when im connecting over wireless i cannot connect, but if i go straight through the modemi can connect fine so it must be something to do with the router. I have spoken with virgin but the agentS (3 of) could not help. I spoke to DLINK and because its custom firmware from virgin they can't touch it. Ive tried upgrading the FIRMWARE to the DLINK version but will not allow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
purloiner

Re: Connecting to VPN using DIR-615

I have the same problem here, I notice in the router logs:

Jan 1 00:00:27    VPN (L2TP) Pass-Through enabled.
Jan 1 00:00:27    VPN (IPSec) Pass-Through enabled.
Jan 1 00:00:27    VPN (PPTP) Pass-Through enabled.

I guess it is but it's not working; I installed my old router and my vpn went straight through.

I've tried adding the ports statically (udp 500 and tcp 1701) onto the dir-615 and that didn't help; I also added my work pc into the DMZ for a giggle "unrestricted internet access" and the vpn still fails.

All other functions work fine, just no vpn.

Back to my old router for now and the dir-615 is setup as AP only, I'd still like this issue fixing please Virgin!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
proudscot2k

i tried the same with adding my laptop into the DMZ but no luck at all. I am wondering if its something to do with the custom firmware supplied by virgin, is there anyway at all to upgrade the firmware on the DLINK with the DLINK firmware to see if that solves the problem. Its a real pain

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
purloiner

Well it's definately firmware IMHO but our hands are tied, I see Virgin admins have jumped over this issue with advice :mansad:

Anyway I had a quick play with mtu settings, I did manage to get the vpn up twice through the dir-615 but not reliably enough, as I'm short on time I reset all the mtu settings to default, restored my old router and vpn is 100% functional again.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
proudscot2k

Mines did randomly work once. I ran a wireshark trace on it and it looks like the request from theserver that i am connecting do is getting declined from the router. I have called virgin and told then i want another netgear sent out. The bad thing is the DIR-615 is a better router and i get a faster speed through it. But i grudge paying for one when they should supply them. If there was a way to put the DLINK firmware on it i wouldnt hesitate.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
CelloX78

I have the same problem. Cannot connect to my work VPN, unless I bypass the DIR-615 going straight into the DSL modem. Very annoying.

I 'll try to install the old router for now, even though it is not as good...

Thanks for the hint!

Is there a way to push Virgin to fix this issue?!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
jonpocock

I too have had exactly the same problems:

a) VPN cannot be established through the Dlink DIR-615

b) VPN can be established if you by-pass it and connect directly to the VM supplied modem

Here's how I solved it

1) I wasted 3 hours trying to get VM technical support to understand and comment on the issue - their basic position is that

a) VPN trafiic is NOT blocked over their network

b) Their wireless router is perfectly fine and dandy and if you open the required ports on the firewall it will all work - but you need to know which ports they are for your specific VPN set-up

c) Your on your own if you want to do that

d) And why would you - you're a home user and we just keep things nice and simple for home users - most of them don't even know what a VPN is anyway

e) Oh and it works fine for lots of other people - so it must be YOUR problem

Thanks VM .. I've been a customer less than 24 hours and you've already supplied a years's worth of reasons to feel unloved and unwanted

2) I opened the sensible ports (see below) and nothing worked.  I even tried the DMZ option suggested by others .. again no joy

3) I downloaded the latest firmware supplied by DLink

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid=119...

4) I ignored all the dire warnings about invalidating the warranty etc etc and installed the firmware - VPN is important to me so router is useless anyway unless I can get it to work

5) I created 2 port forwarding rules for my computer's IP address:

a) PPTP application (port 1723 TCP)

b) IPSEC application (port 500 UDP)

Lo and behold the VPN kicks in ...

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
proudscot2k

THE WAY I GOT ROUND IT WAS TO THREATEN TO LEAVE. THEY THEN OFFERED TO PART PAY FOR A NEW ROUTER. SO I PURCHASED A BETTER ONE AND GOT A £30 REFUND.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
jonpocock

... which I am beginning to think might have been the better "solution" since I probably only successfully get a VPN connection through the dlink box now every 1 in 15 attempts ... a netgear router is already on order ... will let you all know how I get on with that when it arrives ...

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
pure_jax

Has anyone figured out how to get the VPN to work over wireless? The PPTP protocol works through VPN however L2TP doesn't and this is the main one i need. It works fine through an ethernet connection directly to the router however via wireless it doesn't.

Regards,

pure_jax

Please use plain text.