cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the news channel RT NOT AVAILABLE on Virgin media?

Leithhibby
Tuning in

I can recieve RT on freeview for goodness sake why isn't it on Virgin TV? And I have the big kahuna package so it seems it's not that much of a big kahuna after all.

11 REPLIES 11

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@simonb17 wrote:

I'm thinking about going back to Virgin but seriously p***ed off that I won't be able to get RT as usual without a lot of fiddling around....the only news channel that has a non-Establishment take on what's going on.....call me paranoid but does Branson object to that by any chance?!

How do you get your TV now?

If its Sky you can usually keep the box for Free channels after your subscription ends. All the other IPTV systems require a Freeview aerial which you can continue to use.

Its a commercial market & OFCOM actively encourages platforms to have different offerings to eachother to push the "switch" mentality that our political representatives all want us to have.

As for Mr B, I don't think he is too bothered. He sold all but 2% of his stockholding in VM to the American media giants Liberty Global quite some time ago.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I find that when there is a big UK news story there is no other news on BBC News, Sky News etc. in the fifteen minutes before the cycle repeats so EuroNews on 620 is often a better option. However, if there is a big European news story then the same issue applies so Al Jazeera English on 622 provides well presented, unbiased world news.

Al Jazeera means "the island" in Arabic and both refers to Qatar's geographical position on the Arabian Peninsula and its editorial position in being alone as the only politically independent news channel in the Middle East (although it is state funded through loans and grants). It's slogan is "The Opinion and The Other Opinion".

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK