Menu
huggons
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV without box

My 86 year old dad has a Tivo box and pays for a triple pack (TV / phone / BB). Having 2 remotes (one for the TV and one for the Tivo) is now too much for him. Is there any way to do away with the Tivo box and connect the cable to the TV directly to receive the standard freeview channels?

Any advice much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: w TV without box

Not possible. The protocols are different. The cable delivers DVB-C and Freeview requires DVB-T which is only delivered via an external aerial.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin was an "open" cable system (as cable in Germany is), this would be possible with the correct TV (DVB-C tuner built in). Virgin is a "closed" pay platform, so using one of their STB's is the only way technically & legally to receive the service.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Get in touch with VM and ask if there TiVo remote can work your TV as well
0 Kudos
huggons
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Guys.

I programmed the Virgin remote to work with the TV, however he still needs to use 2 remotes, as he needs the TV remote to turn on the TV. Also, he finds the TV remote simpler to use. Guess we will have to have an aerial fit to the roof.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

huggons wrote:

Thanks Guys.

I programmed the Virgin remote to work with the TV, however he still needs to use 2 remotes, as he needs the TV remote to turn on the TV. Also, he finds the TV remote simpler to use. Guess we will have to have an aerial fit to the roof.

If you have programmed the TiVo remote to operate the TV, a long press on the TiVo remote standby button (until the remote flashes green not red) will turn the TV off and on.

0 Kudos
ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV without box

It may be saying the obvious, buy I will say it anyway, (and forgive me if I have missed the point)  

if he only needs to "receive the standard freeview channels" then get a freeview hd tv with those channels pre installed and maybe a smart tv so he can get catch up etc if needed.

If he wants to record get a freeview hd recorder box too (not sure if any tvs come with the recorder installed)

If the signal is poor on aerial  than get a professional aerial company in to put on a booster ( I have one in my loft and it's well worth it).

He can then forget about virgin tv if he really does not need it .

As I say forgive me if I have missed the point but it may be all he needs.

0 Kudos
huggons
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV without box

Thanks for the reply's. Good to know about the long press on the Tivo remote : )

Dad has a TV with freeview built in, however he only has the Virgin cable and no standard aerial lead, where the TV is located. It would have been great if it had been possible to plug the virgin cable directly into the TV and do away with the Virgin box. Just to confirm we want a scenario where he only has the TV with no separate box.

From the looks of things on here, the only option would be to have a standard aerial fit on his roof, to achieve the required outcome.

0 Kudos